Has anyone not been approved in Toronto?

Dreamy74
on 6/12/14 1:07 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Although I have just started the process to seek Roux en Y (been to orientation and have two appointments set up in July and September) I am beginning to worry I won't be approved.  I know it's silly to worry this early I just can't help it.  Has anyone not been approved and if so, do they tell you why and are you able to re-apply again?

Thanks so much in advance.

Caroline K.
on 6/12/14 2:17 am

If your BMI is sufficiently high, and/or you have co-morbidities, there shouldn't be a problem. The one thing to watch for is that if you smoke, you do have to quit. I've heard anecdotally that it can be a deal-breaker, but you'd have to talk to your centre. I suppose the other possible problem is if you don't follow the rules of the pre-op diet with Optifast i.e. your liver hasn't shrunk enough; but, once again, I've only ever heard of it at third-hand.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Catw
on 6/12/14 5:26 am - Arnprior, Canada

As long as you have a BMI of 35 with co-morbitities, or 40 without and follow what your clinic says.  You should be fine.  If you are a smoker, quit now.  Centres will say you need to be 6 months smoke free before you can have surgery, and that's for your own safety during surgery.  There are some people that take longer to get through the process due to various reasons, but basically either their mind or their body isn't ready.  What ever issue is discovered needs to be fixed before they will move on in the process.  This could mean additional tests, requiring medication or treatment to be stablized, or needing to talk longer with the behaviorist/psychologist.  None of it would be a bad thing, if it happens, it's better to fix it now.

They should tell you why you haven't been approved, if they didn't automatically, you'd ask.  The final say is really with the surgeon wether or not he'll operate on you.

Good luck on your Journey.

Cathy

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/12/14 6:00 am - Windsor, Canada

I know of a few people turned down for specific conditions of health, noncompliance and losing too much weight. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Dreamy74
on 6/12/14 6:55 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Thanks all for your replies.  I do have sleep apnea so that's a co-morbidity.  I think my BMI is 45 or 46.  Diminishing Dawn, what health problems did the one(s) that were turned down for the surgery have, do you know?

Blueiiis
on 6/13/14 9:58 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Hi Dreamy74,

i asked that exact same question when I started out a few months ago! Be assured that you fit the profile to be accepted into the program, and as the NP told me, they are not in the business of putting people through all the appointments for nothing.  Try not to worry. Everything will be fine.

Jennifer A.
on 6/23/14 7:50 pm - Canada

Hello,  I'm in the same situation. Had my orientation on June 18th and was discouraged to find out how long between appointments.  I guess we have no choice but to wait.  I went to Toronto Western.  Which hospital did you go too?

Most Active
Recent Topics