protein

shellyg79
on 6/18/08 5:18 am - maple shade, NJ

I am 14 days out and am having a lot trouble getting my protein in.  I am ganging on these shakes and they are making me sick.  Any ideas to help me get the protein in.

RNY 6/4/08
Pre surg 300,  day of surg 285, Current 234, Goal 150
tammypa
on 6/18/08 5:29 am - Philadelphia, PA
Sorry u are having so much trouble. You find that your tastes seem to change from before surgery. You may need to try other flavors. Also, try different textures. You can freeze them a little and eat like a slushy. Or you could try putting some any whey in with your chicken broth and eating it warm.  Good luck, Tammy
Shannon O.
on 6/18/08 7:34 am - Reading, PA
your shakes might be too thick...

But tell us what you are using, and how you are making them, etc.. and maybe one of us can give you some better ideas...

But only being 14 days out I wouldn't worry too much just yet...

shellyg79
on 6/18/08 7:49 am - maple shade, NJ
I have the matrix cokis and cream, Marix orange, Bullits.  I have tried ice, milk and soy milk,  Ican't get any of it down. The only thing I can drink is water and the achiev one.  But I ave to limit the coffee.  I am struggling and having a hard time and advise would be a nice. 
RNY 6/4/08
Shannon O.
on 6/18/08 7:57 am - Reading, PA
Well unless you are using the soy milk that is plain nothing added to it... most of them are high in sugars- look on the back for honey, cane juice, cane syrup, evaperated cane syrup...

After surgery I ran into the problem that my body didn't like any of the Nectar flavors... puked them all up! I also switched to Any Whey and one from GNC that was also unflavored...

I also could only take a sip or 2 and then would have to wait a few mins and then take another sip or 2 etc...
Have your been slowly sipping them? I know at the beinging that was really hard for me and a few times I drank to fast and made myself sick...

jdruski
on 6/18/08 8:44 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Shelly, Remember your taste are going to change after surgery so don't be too discouraged.  If you like the Achieve One then try mixing some S.F Divinci Syrups with your protein selection.  You can also mix in some ice to give a frosty taste.  One of my favorites in the beginning was Unjury Strawberry mixed with Crystal LIght Pink Lemonade.   The protein is so very important.  If you go to the main board and look for a post from Egghead, she has many recipes for shakes.  Also, I am not familiar with the pre-op diet but if you can have fruit try some frozen berries or banana, think smoothee.   You can also go to DiVinci.com and see the recipes they have using their syrups, just add the powder protein. I was lucky, I liked the shakes right from the beginning.  But please don't bypass the protein.   Good luck to you.  BTW where are you having your surgery? Jeanne
shellyg79
on 6/18/08 9:20 am - maple shade, NJ
I had the open RNY on 6/4/08 at Presbyterian, PA
RNY 6/4/08
jdruski
on 6/18/08 9:22 am - Philadelphia, PA
Congratulations.  I had open 6/14/2006 at Pennsylvania Hospital.  It is not written anywhere but I swear us "open" ops. seem to do better. Jeanne
shellyg79
on 6/18/08 9:25 am - maple shade, NJ
Thank you for your advise it is greatly appretated
RNY 6/4/08
sbrunell
on 6/18/08 10:31 am - Bensalem, PA
I am one month out, and had trouble getting my protein goal in. I still do. At 99 grams per day, it's quite tough.  My wife has a mere 71, and I am so jealous some days. Anyway, I went to GNC and picked up some Muscle Milk....they sell some already in the cooler. They have varieties that I have not seen elsewhere (banana and root beer float to name two). I would buy one of each and see how that works for you...maybe one will be easier. Also, i bought hte GNC Soy Isolate 28....It's gross, but I can use the chocolate...Here is my recipe: 1 scoop Soy Isolate 28 (28 g protein) +1 cup milk (10g protein) + 2 TB SF Natural Peanut butter (9g) for a total of 47g.  It tastes good too. You might want to try it.
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1774 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1869 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2552 views