Food Suggestions?

mrsbrunell
on 6/28/08 11:40 am - Bensalem, PA
I just had surgery on Monday and I'm craving the taste of real food.  I am drinking a lot of fluid (120 oz yesterday) and getting in more than enough protein (99g over 70g requirement) but everything tastes sweet and that's driving me nuts.  I put split pea soup through the blender and strained it to get something that tastes somewhat like a meal, but does anyone have any suggestions for how to get through this??? Thanks! Tara

--Tara

LadyJwb
on 6/28/08 11:55 am - Philadelphia, PA
Chicken Broth! it has a wonderful taste and someone shared with me that i could strain the noodle off chicken noodle soup chunky campels and i felt like i had a complete meal . I was on clear fluis for 7days your off already? Split Peas soup is full iquids.

mrsbrunell
on 6/28/08 11:59 am, edited 6/28/08 12:05 pm - Bensalem, PA

Thank you so much!  I've been doing the chicken broth thing since the hospital.  It is the most normal tasting thing I had before I got the split pea soup (which looked disgusting but tasted pretty good).  The clear liquids only lasted while I was in the hospital thank goodness!  I would really be going mad if I was still stuck on that :)  I've already had shakes made with peanut butter and milk but the sweetness is getting to me.  I never though I would say that.  LOL!  I can see why my hubby was so excited to finally blend up Wendy's Chili! The other thing that has had me a bit down is I'm not feeling great just yet and it has nothing to do with pain from surgery.  I have been getting terrible headaches, feeling a bit weak and just lacking in overall energy.  :(

--Tara

LadyJwb
on 6/28/08 12:44 pm - Philadelphia, PA
While every surgeon is different , but I was on clear for 1 1/2 weeks full for 2 puree for 2 soft for 2 which i'm on . I had the wonton broth as well and the FF cream soup where my friend did you drink caffiene maybe that what the headahe are from. Drink some tea it may help withthe headache just make sure you double up on the water if you drink some tea.

NANCYL
on 6/28/08 12:16 pm - PHILA, PA

Tara. I know everyone is going to say it has too much sodium but I lived off  Wonton soup broth when I first came home. My husband brought me a quart of it and I would water it down and I really enjoyed it also the chicken rice broth too just ask them for the broth they wont charge you as much Good Luck! Nancy

mrsbrunell
on 6/28/08 12:29 pm - Bensalem, PA
Thanks Nancy!  I'm so excited to try Wonton Soup broth.  I didn't even think of it.  :)

--Tara

NANCYL
on 6/28/08 1:08 pm - PHILA, PA
Enjoy! It was a life saver however now 2 years later I cant even smell it!!! I just ir reminds me of the beginning Nancy
Patricia R.
on 6/28/08 12:41 pm - Perry, MI
My suggestion is to take it one day at a time, and remember that this too shall pass.  You will not be on liquids forever, and eventually you will be eating normal foods again.   Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

kimmiep621
on 6/28/08 1:56 pm
i ate alot of soups. cream of chicken strained,  and my fav. was chedder cheese soup.  man when i first tasted taht i felt like i was eating my fav mac and cheese. lol   just have to chance things up every now and again,  it will get easier. and i was tired and wea****il i got all my protien and water in for the day.  and now wehn dont get my full protein i feel so weak the next day.  so i always keep my new-whey shots around

327/307/192 (-135 lbs)
consult/day of surgery/current 

mrsbrunell
on 6/29/08 12:44 pm - Bensalem, PA
The cheddar cheese soup sounds really good right now. I have 2 small kids who love Mac & Cheese so this is going to be a more difficult one for me and to have something somewhat similar would sure be great

I've been a little concerned because my energy is a bit lacking and I've had these killer headaches since Friday that Tylenol doesn't seem to touch but I know it's not for lack of fluid or protein because I'm exceeding my minimum requirements in both areas. I sure hope it resolves itself soon though. This headache is getting to be a bit much

--Tara

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1789 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1885 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2565 views