Taken Your Vitamins?? Essential Fatty Acids

Sheryl H.
on 6/28/08 9:52 am - Abbottstown, PA
Did you take your Vitamins?? I did!

Todays topic: EFAs Vital to Healthy Nervous System

Essential fatty acids come in two types, omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acids. They're called "essential" because they're essential to good health, but are not produced in the body and must be obtained through diet.

As Americans consume far too many of the omega-6 fatty acids found in meat, animal products and common cooking oils, the awareness for greater amounts of omega-3 EFAs has increased in recent years. Although omega-6 EFAs and omega-3 EFAs should ideally be present in our diets at a ratio of 3:1 respectively, it's as high as 40:1 for some Americans, which is why obesity is a national epidemic.

EFA supplementation has been recommended for as many as 60 health conditions, ranging from high cholesterol and blood pressure to inflammation, memory loss and aching joints. In 2004, the FDA recognized EFAs for their potential in promoting cardiovascular health, and studies by the American Heart Association suggest that diets rich in EFAs may result in a number of positive health effects.

Have a Happy and Healthy Day!
Sheryl H.
jdruski
on 6/28/08 11:06 am - Philadelphia, PA

Thanks Sheryl, I was so sorry to hear about your pinkie.  You are right this has not been one of your better months.   July 1 is Tuesday so here's hoping you have a better rest of the summer. I wanted to start to take fish oil but my nut said we have a hard time absorbing this mineral.  But someone on the board reminded me that they have those little orange flavored packets (I am having a senior moment here and can't remember what they are called).  One of the things I have to agree with is that the presence of the Omega 3 does keep cholesterol under control.  Even at my highest weight I was a salmon and fresh tuna eater and my numbers were also low. Thanks for keeping this thread alive.  I just bought the book an Idiots Guide to Vits and Min.  It really is a good resource book. Hope that you are doing better and keep that pinkie elevated. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Jeanne

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1792 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1887 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2567 views