Had RNY on Monday, May 2nd

Prettybrowneyezz
on 5/7/11 9:09 am - PA
Hello everyone!

I had RNY at Geisinger Medical Center, Danville and Dr. Gabrielson was my surgeon on Monday, May 2nd.  My surgery went well and no complications.  I find it hard to get in my 60 0z of liquids along with my 60g of proteins.  Any suggestions?  Whenever I do drink, I feel "fullness" really quick.

Is anyone here live in Central PA near Danville?
dit657
on 5/7/11 9:51 am - Boothwyn, PA
Congratulations on your surgery!! Also glad it went well. In the first few weeks following surgery you won't be able to get all your proteins in - none of us could. More importantly keep sipping water and walking - try small amounts of protein thru-out the day. Don't push your pouch to the point if feeling full or uncomfortable.

You will probably feel good but not have a lot of energy at first and that will come as you're able to get more proteins in. Your nutritionist should have given you different stages to go thru as far as adding food back into your diet - liquids, pureed, soft, etc. Take it slow - this was major surgery and while you feel good on the outside your body needs time to heal on the inside.

Again congratulations and welcome to the PA boards!!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Margo2011
on 5/7/11 11:01 am - PA
Grats!

I had my RNY on 4/27 and I'm doing good I think. I was put on a liquid diet something every hour with 3 proteins a day. I use Injury and Bariatric Fusion Protein mix.   I make sure I get the protein in and drink fluids around that all day. Seems to be working and can easliy get 67 protein a day. But whatever your Doc and Nut tell you what you need to do. And drink slow like an ounce every 15 minutes to start. Don't push yourself to drink to fast.

Oh am in NW PA around Erie PA. Had my RNY at Hamot.
sandy L.
on 5/7/11 12:41 pm - Altoona, PA
 Congrats on your surgery.  I had mine in Danville also.  Dr. Petrick on March 4th.  Did they give you some medicine cups (the plastic kind) at the hospital?  I took a few home with me and this is what I used to drink my liquids from, only did this a day or so.  Just so I wouldn't drink so fast.  Are you flavoring your water?  I got the WalMart brand sugar free drink mix.  I always have a few cold waters in the fridge already mixed up.  

I"m in Altoona.  Where you from?

This is the best forum I've found.  Everyone has been so nice and helpful answering questions.  I even have this bookmarked to my favorite tabs.  LOL

Sara E.
on 5/7/11 12:48 pm - Pennsylvania Furnace, PA
I had Dr. Gabrielson too!  You will not get allof your fluids & protein in at first.  I called Michele there and she said for me to keep sipping and it will get easier o get it all in.  She was right.  It took about 3 weeks then I was good to go.  If you have any questions call the office, they are great there.  Or just ask us...this message board hads the best bunch of experts.  They have helped me more times than I could count.  Congratulations and welcome to the losers bench!

Sara

Maura M.
on 5/7/11 11:43 pm - Yardley, PA
It will be hard at first like everyone has said.  Continue to try so that your body gets the nourishment and fluids you need.  Welcome to the boards - ask us anything you want!

Maura
Maura

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1793 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1888 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2568 views