Topic of the day - Fears!!

Jackie Fisher
on 3/25/12 2:09 am - PA
   I know many of you have made mention that you are afraid mostly of regain. I think that while we can have topics of the day be positive subjects, I am also interested in the "real" topics behind WLS. As a newbie, this is something that I feel can help us. We can hear your fears and know what we will have to face when we are at your stages. Also, perhaps our fears can be put to rest by our peers. I also feel that when we are afraid of something, maybe something someone else says will help to alleviate some of that fear we are feeling. So here goes..
   My biggest fear is that I will not be able to continue the "successing" after my honeymoon phase is over. Like others, I believe that I am addicted to food and although I am only almost 5 months out, I have tested the waters already. I will own up to my faults, it helps me to feel better about all of the positive things I have achieved! I have seen so many people come through this with huge successes.. I want to be one of them!! I know I can and I know I will, I just have to get my mind on the right path and make sure that I am making the lifestyle changes that will help me after 2 years right now!!

"Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present."

-Jackie

Maura M.
on 3/25/12 2:37 am - Yardley, PA
It's a healthy fear in my opinion.  I probably would classify my daily weighing as an obsession, but I need to keep myself in check and adjust daily as necessary.  I'm 2 years 3 months out and need to remember not to get too comfortable or it will creep up.

Continue to challenge yourself and be proud of what you can do now and it is like an aphrodesiac.  A new world opens.  One that I never thought I would be a part of.  

You have it in you to continue to succeed, just be true to you Jackie!

xoxo,

Maura
Maura

musicaldonna
on 3/25/12 3:28 am - PA
Jackie,

I was definitely a person who tested the waters very early out.  As you have heard me share at support group, I can eat sugar without it afffecting me too much.  The odd thing is that I don't feel the need to eat as much junk food now since I know I can tolerate it if I want it.  I am sure that part of this is due to my having other tools to deal with my stress besides food. 

Most of my life I have felt deprived when it came to food.  Knowing that I can eat most anything now makes me making better choices for myself.  I choose to eat an apple rather than a candy bar.  I can't stand mild chocolate any more - it's dark chocolate for me now.  I have put weight on this past year but I am now working at taking it off.  I have recommitted myself to using the gift of WLS and not taking it for granted.  Even my posting on here is something that I haven't done too much these past 3 years. 

Remember that this is a not a sprint but a long distance run.  You are in it for the long haul.  there will be WOW times and LOW times.  Keep on being honest with yourself and the support people around you.  Your presence at the meetings and on this board has inspired me.  Thank you.

Donna
Lesley G.
on 3/25/12 5:35 am - Allegan, MI
I agree with what Maura said -- it's a healthy fear to have!

I believe that one's lifestyle choices are what will make or break this journey. If you make healthful eating and exercise a part of your life in the same way that brushing your teeth is part of your life, then it will be automatic that you'll do those things. I work out six days a week and these days most of the time I'm excited to be there and ready to work out, but there are still a few days when I just don't feel like it. On those days, it's my fear of regain/failure/whatever that gets me out of the house and over to the gym.
Laureen S.
on 3/25/12 7:01 am - Maple Shade, NJ

A certain amount of fear is healthy, as has been said, if we get too comfortable and/or take the tool for granted, or look for ways around it, it does catch up, as I can attest to. 

My fear is something I use to my advantage, it keeps me on my toes and engaged in doing the right thing more frequently and I stay honest because for too many years I lied to myself and hid the truth from me, as much as others.  I don't want to be judged by what I do, but I also know that to convey successing, I must be truthful and not let my fear of what others might think, keep me from participating in this ongoing journey.  You know how I roll and so I share the good, the bad and the wonderful, my life today is more of the latter and I shall continue to learn ways to stay on track, face my fears and continue my successing journey!

Thanks Jackie for bringing your passion to our community!

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Jackie Fisher
on 3/25/12 7:48 am - PA
THANK YOU.. for always welcoming me with open arms!
"Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present."

-Jackie

jastypes
on 3/25/12 7:35 am - Croydon, PA
I never really had that fear, and, well, we know where that got me!  I still don't fear weight gain because I know that if I stay in recovery, my weight will be exactly what it is supposed to be.  On the other hand, FEAR itself is a big theme in my life that I need to give over daily to my Higher Power.  Specifically, I have underlying fear of abandonment; fear of failure; fear of rejection.  These fears can control my life if I allow them to. They show up as underlying causes of my obsessive thinking and compulsive behaviors.  Fear can turn into worry, and worry leads me to paralysis.  It is important for me to stay in today.

Just for today, I am in recovery, I am not afraid, I am enough and I have enough. 

Thanks for these thought-provoking topics.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Jackie Fisher
on 3/25/12 7:47 am - PA
Jill, your post moved me..  Thank you so much for that amazing quote!

-Jackie

cleos_mom
on 3/25/12 10:49 am - phila., PA
I am addicted to the scale, I weigh daily, if I weighed monthly & then gained 25lbs it would be so hard to loose, so I stay on top of it.
I don't drink alcohol cause it is empty calories and I know several people that have gained weight back because of alcohol
.I don't eat in Restaurants cause I don't know how the food was prepared and I really don't enjoy it like I used to. I would rather cook  at home.
if u eat a few M 7 M s all day long until the bag is finished u still ate that whole bag whether it was in 1 sitting or 6 u still ingested all those calories.
I try and make good choices most of the time
I exercises 3x a week. I am out almost 5 years, so far so good but it is a daily struggle and I enjoy every minute of the life I now have.
you can do it Jackie if you stay determined and learn how to make the right choices, it is so nice to be in the same size clothes for over 3 years now, had to get rid of some cause I am getting tires of them LOL
GOOD LUCK to you
Susan

try not to test the pouchto much you are still very early out
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1781 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1874 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2557 views