Reminder: Medications AFTER RNY

jackie j
on 5/1/12 3:01 am - Glenmoore, PA
Just a reminder.   Here's an OH article on what meds you should and shouldn't take after bypass.   Extended Release tabs or enterics (especially for depression/anxiety/ADD/birth control) won't work as intended after bypass.   This could lead to worsening depression (especially if other vites are low) or might leave you feeling unfocused on your diet and exercise or lead to "feeling of failure" if you start gaining.      Especially after all these years I find my docs prescribing XR for me all the time, it's what they know and what the pharmaceutical reps push.   NONE of my docs have known that bypass peeps are special.  It's a darn shame, but we need to educate them for our own good health.  
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/MEDICATIONS-After-Bar iatric-Surgery-wls.html

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

jdruski
on 5/1/12 3:41 am - Philadelphia, PA
Jackie thanks for the reminder.  I just realized that the combo that I am on is putting weight on me and also not helping the  depression.  I am going to see a psycho doc in about 3 weeks.  I have to make a note to remind him that I can't have any extended release.

Jeanne
jackie j
on 5/1/12 6:24 am - Glenmoore, PA
Jeanne, print out the link in my original post.    It lists the meds that are ok, not ok and explains WHY they are not ok (our lack of intrinsic factor, our shorter bowel).     I recently tried a new med for 7 days and I lost 5 lbs in that week (as a great side effect).   The doc prescribed it in XR (I didn't notice that at the time) and after a week I was noticing it had totally different effects though it was supposedly the same thing.  AND, I gained 7lbs!   I was freaking out!  When I went back to examine what could be the cause I noticed the XR.    I printed out the list for my doc, told him XR was like taking "nothing".   It was an "A HA" moment; before that it was just me "complaining" that their pills weren't working.   He was doubting when I verbally told him, but once I proved myself with it in print there was no issue with a switch in script.    He did say it wasn't the reason for the weight gain but he'd change it to make me happy and "we'd see" if there was a difference.   Well, I'm REAL happy now.   I'm getting the effects I was looking for AND on the regular pill for 6 days and 5 of the 7lbs are off.  I can't explain what's in the XR that makes me retain the water bu****er retention is a reaction to injury; so whether its irritating my pouch or intestines; whatever, I know it just isn't right.    Hey, if you are depressed or anxious already, you sure as heck don't need a med that'll put weight on you and make your situation worse, now do you?  

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

jdruski
on 5/6/12 10:21 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks Jackie, I printed it out and I am going to make copies.  I will give it out to all docs that I see. 

Jeanne
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1774 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1869 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2552 views