7 Years and Counting!!!

Boogaloo
on 5/15/13 5:28 am - PA

Hey All,

Many of you don't know me, but I had my GB surgery 7 years ago today and this site was a lifesaver for me throughout the first many years of my journey.  I promised myself that I would check in at least once a year to be sure that people knew what happened in the long run - so here I am... it's sort of like an annual pilgrimage :)

As I peruse the site and the PA forum - many of the names have changed, but the questions, the fears, and the triumphs have remained the same.  I have no sage advice... I lost about 120 lbs in the course of about a year - I exercised daily and now teach exercise to include Zumba, Pilates, Yoga, Group Fitness and Spinning.  I hike, bike and try to spend as much time away from the television as possible.

I still struggle - about two years ago, I began to slowly put some weight back on and when I reached 15 lbs gained - I did a big re-evaluation and I had gotten sloppy with my habits... wasn't exercising enough... a little too much sugar... a little too much snacking.  I know what works, I just have to do it - FOREVER!!!  I know that, but it's easier said than done and it can sneak up on me if I am not diligent.

Best of everything to all of you regardless of what part of the journey you are on - this group and the support you received will continue to stay in your heart - trust me.

Love,

Lou

musicaldonna
on 5/16/13 7:55 am - PA

Lou,

Congratulations on your 7 year surgiversary.  I will be 4 years out next month and know that I will always need to be vigilant about the pounds slowly creeping on.  I have been maintaining for the past 8 months after a 30 pound regain.  I am slowly (very slowly) starting back down the scale again.  I have stopped beating myself up for the regain and am trying to focus in on the here and now and being positive.  Thanks for stopping back in - I remember from my early days seeing you post a little more often.  I always liked your avatar.  Continued successing.  Take care.

Donna

Boogaloo
on 5/31/13 1:40 am - PA

Hey Donna!

Congrats on your success and your resiliency!  Four years is no easy task!  So glad that you are not beating yourself up - we are just humans... doing the best we can. Take care

Lou

lynnc99
on 5/16/13 9:16 am

Wow, it's great to hear from a 7 year veteran! And yes, it's a reality check. Donna and I had surgery in the same time frame - I will be 4 yrs in July - and I too am dealing with a few extra pounds. On one shoulder, I hear the "old" voice saying, "Oh, I don't know what to do!" 

But my WLS reality check kick-in-the-ass voice says, "You know EXACTLY what to do you are just being too lazy to DO it!" It's all the usual stuff - lack of exercise (laziness is a habit that lurks around the next corner, just waiting for me), careless eating (what's a couple of crackers, after all?), and the slow and steady creeping of sugars back into my diet. Not in crazy amounts, not like the old days, but too much for this still-new anatomy. 

I wouldn't go back to where I was five years ago for anything in the world. But we all do indeed have to be diligent. Appreciate your words of wisdom!

Boogaloo
on 5/31/13 1:42 am - PA

Hey There,

I don't know if they are words of wisdom :) but I speak from the heart.  Congrats on your success and good luck on this wonderful, lifetime journey!

Lou

IdaMae D.
on 5/17/13 11:50 am - Philadelphia, PA

congratulations on your 7 years...

IdaMae

Boogaloo
on 5/31/13 1:45 am - PA

Thanks so much!

Patricia R.
on 5/19/13 10:38 pm - Perry, MI

Congratulations and Happy Surgiversary,  

That is awesome.  Being self-aware, and acknowledging changes that need to be made to get back on track is fantastic.  

God bless.

Hugs,

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Boogaloo
on 5/31/13 1:48 am - PA

Thanks Trish!

I see the picture of your grand babies and I remember when the oldest was born!  Just beautiful - what a blessing.

I also have to thank you for all your inspiration very early on - you always provided an honest and humbling look at the journey that kept me motivated more than I acknowledged!

Take Care,

jastypes
on 5/21/13 1:10 am - Croydon, PA

{{{Lou}}}  thanks for coming back to share and encourage.  It certainly is a daily challenge to stay the course.  This site is a lot less active than when I first came on board, but you are right that it stays in your heart!

Congratulations on 7 years of successing!

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1777 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1870 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2554 views