Need some help for a friend

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/13 1:00 pm

I have a friend who is currently looking into gastric bypass surgery in PA. She has not ruled out Barix but is just not sure. Can anyone give any other suggestions and also give some input on their support groups? TIA

jeterway
on 11/1/13 2:19 am
If you are near philly, penn medicine has a great program. You can use several locations. U of p, Presbyterian, or Pennsylvania hospital locations. They have very skilled doctors and a good support group system. You can go to any support group no matter which location you use for your surgery. I had rny 4 years ago at Pennsylvania hospital and still attend support groups on a regular basis.

cleos_mom
on 11/1/13 4:58 pm - phila., PA

One thing about Barix, is that is all they do is Bariatric surgery, there infection rate I believe is 0, the care is like I have never seen before and I worked in a hospital for 25 years.

their support group is free,  I had my SX there 6 1/2 years ago and I can still call the nutritionist for advice n help, the Dr. That did my surgery is no longer there but now Dr. Marymoor takes just as good care of me as if he did my surgery.

so they don't forget u even years later and their rooms are private

good luck

Susan

Patricia R.
on 11/8/13 12:47 pm - Perry, MI

I researched the hospitals in Philly prior to choosing Barix.  Obesity Help had patient reviews of the hospitals providing bariatric surgery, and the reviews of the regular hospitals were not flattering in the least.  Barix is entirely different.  All of the surgeons do one thing, bariatric surgery.  The entire staff specializes in the care and needs of bariatric patients before, during and after. 

Another huge difference, which I learned from observing my sister since her lap band surgery at Jeanes Hospital several years ago.  Barix provides nutritionists, which are included at each of my post-op visits, no extra charge. 

I love Dr. Marymor, and appreciate that upon discharge he game me his cell phone number, in case I had a problem, which I did a couple of times.  I'm seven years post-op, and now live in Michigan, but I still make my annual appointments at Barix with him, when I visit my family in Bucks County.

Barix has three different support groups every month.  One pre-op, one post-op, and a Saturday meeting for both.  A nutritionist is available at every one of them for questions or concerns.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think such specialized care at any other facility in the area.

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1777 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1870 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2553 views