Revision surgery

trustno1
on 1/17/14 7:13 am - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 01/30/09 with

I had a VSG 5 years ago in Mexico which went very well, but 2 kids and a voracious appetite while breastfeeding later and I'm getting within 20 lbs of my starting weight.  We're done having kids, and while I'm still breastfeeding, I anticipate being done by the time I see a doctor.  My BMI is floating around 35 right now and I have sleep apnea, last test (many years ago now) put me in the severe range.  It definitely improved when I lost weight though.

I was wondering, since QC didn't cover my VSG originally, if I wanted a revision (likely to a DS actually), would they cover it now?  Any idea what it would take to qualify?  Anyone been through a revision in QC?  I don't have a family doctor and was thinking of just heading to a clinic, waiting the ten billion hours and getting a referral to Dr. Court at the RVH, since the wait time seems short and he has great reviews.  My 67 year old mother is thinking (after many years of coaxing from me) about finally getting WLS done too, I thought it would be nice to go together if possible to the referral appointment, if they'd allow that.

Any information about the process would be appreciated, in MX I didn't need a referral, no extensive pre-op stuff so no clue what it's like (other than reading forum posts here) in QC.

I DID Make It - 135.4 8-1-10!  Now working on post baby weight loss. (All WL post-op - preop got up to 220 from quitting smoking & last supper syndrome.)  5'2"
justpete
on 1/18/14 5:22 am
VSG on 04/02/13

no info on revision, but DR Court did do a great job with me and the followup with the clinic at the RVH has been pretty good.  I would get a referral and bring it in and pickup the information form to fill out (if they still do that).  can ask them how soon you can go to an information session.  The preop was jsut 2 weeks optifast, so no biggie there.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

trustno1
on 1/18/14 7:49 am - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 01/30/09 with

With my VSG it was 1 week protein shakes (of our choosing within guidelines) because I'm a "lightweight".  If I REALLY needed more food I could grab a cold cut.  I was reading with some QC docs you're allowed veggies.  I'm not super concerned about the preop diet but (strangely as she has amazing willpower) my Mom is really concerned about only being on shakes for potentially a few weeks.  Can you tell me what, if anything, you were allowed to supplement the shakes with?  And did it have to be Optifast shakes or could you buy your own (low carb, low sugar, high protein, whatever)?

I DID Make It - 135.4 8-1-10!  Now working on post baby weight loss. (All WL post-op - preop got up to 220 from quitting smoking & last supper syndrome.)  5'2"
justpete
on 1/18/14 10:43 am
VSG on 04/02/13

it had to be 4 optifast shakes a day (not less) and i was allowed some low carb vegetables, steamed or raw.  no oils, fats, etc.  I think they have an alternate plan if you really seriously cannot do the shakes, but it's very particular and IMO too restrictive for a pre-op.  4 shakes was a lot and hard to get in ... you really have no issues with hunger, esp if you are keeping up on water also.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

trustno1
on 1/18/14 12:00 pm - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 01/30/09 with

She's not so much worried about hunger, she can deal with hunger, but she tends to get headaches if she doesn't eat.  She's done shakes on her own and always has to stop because by late afternoon she's in a world of hurt.  She also can't imagine the restrictive diet after, but that's less of a concern, I keep telling her she won't care, but it's hard for anyone to believe how you feel right after surgery, I know that. :)

If anyone has more details on the alternate plan, I'd appreciate it.  Also, still looking for anyone who has had a revision here in QC. :)

Most Active