Does RAMQ cover...

Susan M.
on 2/3/14 6:51 am

Crazy question,  does RAMQ cover vitamins/minerals for people who have RNY/DS seeing as they are now needed to stay alive?

Also, are Nutritionalists covered (I am doubtful but curious)?

Thanks!

matha66
on 2/3/14 9:05 am - Montreal, Canada

I an pre-op but I know that the Nutritionist can follow you longterm when you have surgery at the RVH and I believe the same goes for Sacre Coeur. As for the vitamins, I am presently on Vit D and it is covered by my employee insurance & I believe same goes if you use RAMQ, however I am not sure if either covers all forms and doses of vitamins.

justpete
on 2/4/14 8:17 am
VSG on 04/02/13

In my case for VSG at RVH.  The multivitamins are not covered, but you should still get a prescription for them and keep receipts for tax refunds.  For anything else you need as per your blood tests, like vitamin D or b12, ... those should be covered.  The NUT is something you shoudl ask your clinic.  I see the nutritionist and nurse every 3 months the first year (covered with my surgery i guess), a few extra times early on after surgery.  They help progress through the food stages, give meal ideas, check on blood work, fitness recommendations, etc.  I highly recommend getting one to balance out the craziness you find online and on these boards.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

MissCurves
on 2/20/14 6:20 am
RNY on 03/26/13

Multivitamin, and B12 are not covered, but cost about 15$ a month. Iron and Calcium and Vit D are covered.

Susan M.
on 2/23/14 12:24 pm

Thanks, I'll look into it further!

odie
on 1/14/17 2:33 pm
RNY on 05/26/14

I'm in Quebec and had my surgery at Sacre Couer and vitamins are not covered and the pharmacy won't accept a prescription for them as they are OTC.  The nutritionist was only covered pre surgery and was in French so really didn't help me at all!! 

To Thine Own Self Be True!!

amandaxo
on 8/26/17 5:28 pm

Hi, How long did it take you to get your first appoinment and then the actual surgery ?

Most Active