Multi-vitamins??? Suggestions please

acb_2011
on 2/13/11 3:30 am
I brought the Centrum Chewable Orange multivitamins and I have to say they are AWFUL!!  I thought  after I choked it down that I would be OK, but continue to "burp" it - I know disgusting!!!Any other suggestions.  I have surgery on Tuesday and trying to get everything I need for surgery, so I really need something I can buy and not order.  Up until this point I have used the One A Day gummies, which I love, but they are not recommended by my doctor.  My doctor recommends Centrum or Flintstones, but I have seen a lot of mixed reviews about Flintstones on here.  Any suggestions??? 

I am on my way!
paranoidmother21
on 2/13/11 3:41 am - Lake Zurich, IL
I had that issue for the first few weeks after surgery with the Centrums as well. I wound up just nibbling them, so that it literally took 10-20 minutes to finish one, and that resolved the issue. After about 5-6 weeks, I was able to just munch.

My surgeon felt that part of it was the pre-op habit of crunch/swallow, rather than really breaking it down before swallowing, as well as the iron in it potentially irritating the pouch.

There is a Centrum chewable that does not have iron and is grape flavored - perhaps Women's, or Ultra, or Ultra Women's? You may want to look into that as well.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

shutterbugjunkie
on 2/13/11 3:44 am
RNY on 02/04/11 with
I, too, purchased the Centrum Chewable orange multivitamins thinking they would be yummy. Not so! The first 2 days, I had to choke them down. Since then, they have gotten better. They seem to not be so chalky and they seem to taste more like orange. I do take them with food (as recommended on the label) and that makes them a little more tolerable. My thinking is that I hate to waste money so I'll be taking them until I finish the TWO bottles that I purchased online. I have heard a lot of good reports about the Celebrate chewable vitamins. I ordered a sample from them and received them within just a few days. If you do the same, they may be at home waiting on you when you get home from surgery. Good luck with your surgery!!!
msromagnola
on 2/13/11 3:54 am
I struggled with the centrum orange chewables too for quite a while before I found out I could swallow a pill with no trouble.  Ask your doc when would he ok for you to try to swallow a pill.    I found holding my nose while chewing it helped.  I also found brushing my teeth afterwards helped to clear the taste from my mouth.

MSROMAGNOLA
Carla M.
on 2/13/11 4:01 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with

I haven't had the surgery yet, but everyone that I've talked to that has tell me that the bariatric fusion vitamin is the way to go. One chewable four times a day will take care of all the extra vitamins and minerals you need. They aren't that expensive and they taste pretty good. I've only gone for the orange, but they come in a variety of flavors.

poet_kelly
on 2/13/11 7:06 am - OH

Really, you'd need eight a day, not four.  The ASMBS says you need 200% of the RDA of most things but four of those only gives you 100% of many things.  So you'd need eight.

The ASMBS says you need 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate per day.  Four BF gives you only 1200 mg calcium - but it's not all citrate.  Some is calcium carbonate, which you won't absorb.  So you'd need extra calcium citrate but I dunno how  much 'cause they don't tell you how much they have.

You'd still need B12 because we can't absorb B12 we swallow because we lack intrinsic factor in our pouch.  You'd need a sublingual, or patch, or nasal spray, or shots.

Jedene F.
on 2/13/11 4:36 am - Oneonta, NY
I take the wal-mart brand children's chewables (2/day).  They aren't that bad...

ORIGINAL: HW 318.2; SW 295.0; LW 158.6
RECOMMIT: RGW 220.8; CW 206.2; GW 158

Lady Lithia
on 2/13/11 4:43 am
Children's chewables are designed for children. You need an adult dose, and then 200% of the USRDA

I'd compare the label of centrum chewables (which ARE nasty by the way) with the childrens and make sure that you are getting at least what is in one of those....twice a day.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Jedene F.
on 2/13/11 9:23 am - Oneonta, NY
These are the type my surgeon/nutritionist has instructed me to take.

ORIGINAL: HW 318.2; SW 295.0; LW 158.6
RECOMMIT: RGW 220.8; CW 206.2; GW 158

Lady Lithia
on 2/13/11 10:16 am
Good luck with that.

I know of a number of people who have taken what their surgeon/nut recommended them, and it didn't keep them from developing major nutritional issues.

I highly recommend getting in 200% of the USRDA EVERY day..... and two children's vites aren't going to get you there.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Most Active
Recent Topics