Surgery scheduled

Bill O.
on 4/4/11 8:14 am - NC
 Hello all!!!  I have been around lurking and reading.  I finally got news that my surgery was approved through BCBSNC.  Dr Sharp is going to be doing the surgery.  I have a couple of questions.  

1.  Why two nights in the hospital post op?  The only reason I ask is that Cardiac stent patients barely get two nights.

2.  Honestly, how much discomfort is there?  How long until you can drive and do things?

3.  Any way to make these protein shakes taste different/better?  I have experimented some with flavor extracts (orange and vanilla is decent) but it gets boring really quick drinking the same thing over and over again.

4.  Lifting restrictions?  How much?  How long?

5.  Outdoor activities, ie golf, fishing

Thanks for your feedback.

Lady Lithia
on 4/4/11 8:21 am
My surgeon sometimes lets his patients go after 1 night, but he wants us to pass healthy gas, so he knows that the system is working. I didn't pass gas until the second night.

I went back to work 14 days postop (high school teacher). I stopped my pain meds at 9 days. It wasn't that bad, really, though I did have left side achiness for six weeks or so.

Your tastes will change with the proteni shakes, and you might end up ladctose intolerant. Cleopatra_Nik has a boatload of good protein shake recipes, there are a lot of things you can do. Don't despair, but remember that evne if they taste yucky, they're like medicine postop, you might have to down them anyway.

Your doc will give you his lifting restrictions. I'd say 15 pounds for six weeks, but that's just me throwing out numbers

I don't know what limitations on outdoor activities, depends on the activity and your individual recovery plan from your surgeon, and what you can handle. DON'T swim until you are cleared (I did that once, swam before the surgeon said I could after minor abdominal surgery adn ended up with a wound infection)

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

NIXMOMMIE
on 4/4/11 8:40 am - NC
Two nights in the hospital, I am home for 3 days now and wish I was still there.  I am having pain still at the site and around it.  Everyone heals differently.  I was told not to drive for 2 weeks.  I was told to walk constantly, but I have been very hard headed with this as I am in a lot of pain.  I have had 2 BM and burping a lot.  As far as protein shakes, I use vanilla with hazelnut coffee and splenda.  So yummy.  I have only walked to the mailbox as for outside activity.  Good luck to you and a speedy recovery...

SugarGrl
on 4/4/11 9:41 am
1.  Why two nights in the hospital post op?  The only reason I ask is that Cardiac stent patients barely get two nights.  I think because the day after surgery you have to take the leak test. 

2.  Honestly, how much discomfort is there?  How long until you can drive and do things?  My discomfort was very minimal considering what they did.  I did get morphine 3 times (it just helped me sleep), I asked for Reglan for the barfy stomach.  I had a pain pump that I could have left in but I had them take everything out.  I have not had to take any pain meds since I came home, nada!  I was driving within 6 days.  I probably could have driven earlier but I chose to wait a few days.

3.  Any way to make these protein shakes taste different/better?  I have experimented some with flavor extracts (orange and vanilla is decent) but it gets boring really quick drinking the same thing over and over again.  I have noticed no change with how things taste.  I have noticed I don't like think shakes like Atkins as much as I used to.  I'm addicted to EAS, I think the chocolate one is like a rich chocolate milk.

4.  Lifting restrictions?  How much?  How long?  I dont' normally lift, but my instructions were no more than a container of milk.

5.  Outdoor activities, ie golf, fishing.  I'm a golfer and my surgery was 23 Mar.  I've not swung a club yet but I plan on it this weekend.

Congratulations on your approval.  Hang on it goes fast from here on out!! 

WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!  LET'S GET HEALTHY!     STARTING WEIGHT 211.8, SURGERY 23 MAR 11; ONEDERLAND 30 MAR 11 199.2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Most Active
Recent Topics