Exhausted... Simply exhausted!!! Help with best food choices?

VintageChick
on 5/20/13 11:14 am
Did anyone else lose a lot of blood during/after surgery and get released with a low hemoglobin? How did you cope? In addition to recuperating from major surgery, I feel like I'm not gaining strength as I should. I'm easily out of breath, and I'd really like to pick up some walking. I've questioned my surgeon already, and he assured me my current iron stores would help build my blood count back up, but wow, I can barely care for my personal hygiene and fix my food as it is. I'm still on full liquid diet, but can transition to puréed/soft in 2 days. Ideas on some allowed foods that will help me out. As a nurse I have some ideas as well as my surgeon's food list, but as a fresh RNY patient, you all are the experts for knowing what may help me get the most bang for the amount of food my pouch will hold.
poet_kelly
on 5/20/13 11:18 am - OH

Try ricotta cheese with some spaghetti sauce and a little shredded parmesan on top.  You just have to nuke it for a minute or two.

Refried beans with a little taco sauce and shredded cheddar is good, too, and easy.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Amanda P.
on 5/20/13 12:55 pm
RNY on 04/03/13

I lost a lot of blood and I still was hardly walking when I got home.  I would walk to the kitchen and back and ended up sleeping for hours because I was so tired.  In my surgeons office we follow up with his nurse and dietician and they put me back on iron a couple of weeks early and about 10 days after my surgery I took a nap and I woke up energized and felt almost completely normal.  It still took me a while to have enough energy to make it through the entire day without needing a nap.  Every day just got a little better.

VintageChick
on 5/20/13 11:34 pm
Thank you, both. I have the iron from vitalady and think I'll get started on it. I can't see that it would hurt now that I'm almost a week out. Something has to help this weakness!

I fixed the ricotta & sauce. Yum!!!! I'm so tired of artificially sweet protein stuff, and it hit the spot! I thinned it a bit with milk to keep in compliance with my surgeon's protocol of creamy foods for the moment. I can see this becoming a staple in my new diet. Can hardly wait to get to the point of beans and cheese.

Thanks again!
Most Active
Recent Topics