RNY Schedule HELP!

debinmco
on 7/25/21 11:39 am

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and looking for help. I've been on this journey for 16 months to get my surgery scheduled and done (I contracted Covid last June which set me back immensely). I have finally completed all of my clearance doctor's appointments; now I'm looking at getting into my surgeon's office for a weigh in. My fear is I put on 20 lbs since my first appointment with them in April 2020. I'm afraid he is going to say I have to lose the weight and more before we can schedule and get it done. What was your experience from your first appointment to the time you had your surgery? Did any of you put on weight prior to your surgery? Any encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Debbie

Partlypollyanna
on 7/25/21 12:40 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Every practice (and plan) is different. Mine didn't have a huge weight loss requirement ore surgery (10lbs) but it was not negotiable, he wouldn't schedule until it was met (along with all the other requirements). Have a candid and direct conversation with your medical team, it's the best way to know the issues, develop a plan and get to where you need to be. Good luck, you can do this!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

debinmco
on 7/25/21 6:52 pm

Yes, I remember they told me my insurance did not require any weight loss prior to surgery. However, they didn't say if their practice did or not. I will definitely find out tomorrow when I call them. I told them I wanted to have a meeting with the surgeon to know exactly where I stand, what problems I am having, and to move towards getting the surgery done.

I don't know if any of you are or were diabetic. I'm in a horrible Catch 22 where I have to take insulin and very high doses twice a day. Insulin makes you gain weight and makes you hungry. No matter what I do I have trouble losing weight. This was why my doctor advised me to look into getting the surgery in the first place. I'm praying I don't have to take any diabetic medications after surgery. Thank you for answering me and the encouragement!

Partlypollyanna
on 7/26/21 8:17 am
RNY on 02/14/18

It's not uncommon for people to be diabetic/on diabetes meds per surgery. Ther is a lot of variability in whether people come off meds rapidly, shortly after surgery ir not at all. I chose the RNY surgery because it had the higher probability of getting me off diabetes meds (I was not on insulin). I was off all meds a week post surgery.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

White Dove
on 7/25/21 12:43 pm - Warren, OH

You will just have to go in and get weighed and see what your surgeon says. You might be required to lose before your surgery or not, it depends on the surgeon.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

debinmco
on 7/25/21 6:53 pm

Yep, already have that planned. Calling their office tomorrow morning.

joojoosgranny
on 7/28/21 6:32 pm
RNY on 08/11/21

hey Debbie

I thought I had a long wait prior to surgery, until I read your post! I started the process of getting qualified for weight loss surgery in February 2021, and finally have my surgery date scheduled for August 11. I have lost no weight at all during the qualification process. When it began I thought I had maybe one month or two before I'd have my surgery so I set about to enjoy and say goodbye to all my favorite foods. I gained 14 lbs. During my nutrition classes I was weighed and my nutritionist never said one word about my weight. For the last class, when she weighed me and I hadn't lost anything, I made a sigh or some noise of disgust, and she just said "don't be so hard on yourself". And she was right.

I started the two week pre-op diet yesterday and my surgeon told me that I'll lose 15 to 20 lbs prior to August 11. So I hope she's right - I'm trying! She said these two weeks are for purposes of shrinking my liver. So I just have to say, hang in there! You did much better than me and kudos to you for your patience and perseverance! Best of luck.

Jeannie

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?