What were the key factors that influenced your decision to undergo weight loss surgery?

MetsIslandersMom
on 2/28/24 1:43 pm - NJ

What were the key factors that influenced your decision to undergo weight loss surgery?

Grim_Traveller
on 2/28/24 10:58 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm not sure I could list them all. Every year brought new issues. My health was deteriorating in every way. You can carry a lot of extra weight when you're younger, and get away with it. When you start to get older, the complications become more severe. Reduced mobility, joint pain, inability to perform more and more tasks, being put on more and more medications for everything from high cholesterol to arthritis. When I was told I was a few months away from needing insulin, I pulled the trigger on weight loss surgery.

I have none of the above issues now. I'm not on any meds for anything.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

hollykim
on 3/1/24 8:48 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 28, 2024 at 9:43 PM Pacific Time, MetsIslandersMom wrote:

I had developed type 2 diabetes. As a retired nurse, I knew what that meant. It meant that I would eventually lose my toes and then my legs to amputation. The question was not IF But WHEN. Because it would happen if I lived long enough.

then the retinas in my eyes would burn out. Again not if but when. I wasn't willing to go that route do I opted for surgery.

14 years post op and 122 pounds lost. I still have my toes, my legs, my retinas and a normal BS and A1C, every time.

Most Active
Recent Topics