My Re-Sleeve Ended up Partial Re-Sleeve and Partial Plication - Anyone else?

Quanita L.
on 11/17/14 9:22 am - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

Hi All,
I had my surgery on 12Nov - my surgeon expected some adhesions but was not too concerned. I went into theatre at 4pm and was back in the ward at 10pm?!  They operated for 2.5-3 hours.  My surgeon said "It was a mess in there" and that I had stretched out my sleeve in a very strange way, there was some stretching near the bottom, a lot of stretching near the top and the middle of my sleeve looked quite normal.

He says he re-sleeved the bottom and did a plication on the top.  In addition to dealing with a large amount of adhesions. (I had adhesions the first time round with no prior abdominal surgery). He did say he operated with the thought that I may want a mini by-pass down the track - we had discussed this as an option if the re-sleeving did not work.

My day after was okay, but the following day I was a total mess an in agony.  I know I spent a long time in recovery with them trying to reduce my nausea - but I don't remember this and I sit here at my work desk 2 days after discharge (16th) typing and I am okay on the anti tummy cramping, anti acid and panadol for pain. No nausea (I had extreme nausea after vsg 1 for up to 6 months post op).

I feel I am tolerating liquids quite well have not overdone it, most grumbles and gurgles seemed to tummy spasms no real hunger.

I am doing 0.5-1 optifast shake, 1 liquid protein whey shot - mixed with a litre of water and about half a cup of strained brocolli soup. Week 1 of Liquids is pretty much done, I have no concerns about week 2.  I am down 5lbs since surgery.

Anyone else in a similar situation?  How did things go for you? Tips, Pitfalls?

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

tlew
on 11/21/14 12:03 am

Thank you for sharing your story. I have not had revision, so I cannot offer an advice, but I do have questions. How do you know if you stretched out your sleeve?  I am considering have revision surger from Sleeve to RnY because I am almost a year out and have only lost 50 lbs.  I have 55 more to go. Do you recommend this?  What made you choose to have revision surgery? Thanks so much

fatmackn
on 11/21/14 10:31 pm - Adelaide, Australia

Hey I also had my mini bypass surgeryin Adelaide 3 weeks ago. Good luck with your recovery but I'd deff get a mini bypass if this doesn't work out, you''ll lose more weight. Clint

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/14 6:50 am

Thank you so much for sharing. I have a different revision scheduled on December 18th. An older surgery called Vertical Band Gastroplasty to RNY. I have severe GERD and Barretts Esophagus. I am scared about dumping syndrome. I will start weaning myself off carbs and sugar after Thanksgiving. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Quanita L.
on 11/23/14 8:50 am - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

@tlew - I know I stretched out my sleeve from having another endoscopy and barium swallow.  Both tests showed that my tummy was what they considered normal size.

I did not do well with my surgery and over ate a lot (and had to throw up a lot) and a drank a lot and grazed a lot and over about 3 years I gained almost all the weight I lost back.   I had no side effects or complications from my first surgery and had no comorbidities other than high blood pressure.  (We do have a family history of heart issues and type 2 diabetes though).

After my first vsg I got to a low weight of 64kg(140lbs) that is only a few lbs over the high healthy weight for my BMI and I was a size 10-12 at that weight.  I went up to 98kg this year and got down to 89kg on my pre-revision weight loss.  I am hovering on the 5-6 lbs since surgery it is still 2 days to 2weeks out.

I chose to have a revision and to try to get the sleeve again for a few reasons. One is that I believe that I have the mental mindset to incorporate the lifestyle changes that I didn't last time and make the sleeve work for me.  Two is that my surgeon has suggested this as part a of a mini by-pass if this does not help me.  Three is I am really keen to get pregnant and I think we can start trying a bit sooner if we plan things with the sleeve/plication now and trying to have a baby as soon as is practical.

My surgeon advised he has had some people re-sleeved and gain weight, He also advised he has had revisions to RNY and they only lost an additional 10kg.  Because we already have had restriction and know how to work around it, it is far more important to make all the behaviour changes to sustain or lose or maintain after a revision.

I don't know your situation, I believe if you did well with the sleeve, but have not managed to loose enough weight, then the idea is to move to a malabsorptive WLS because that will help you to lose more weight.  If something went wrong with your sleeve (or like me you stretched it out and you are mentally okay with changing your lifestyle now) then potentially re-sleeving would be an option?

Thanks for the heads up Clint, and Hi to a fellow ADL person :) 

I am what the people here I think refer to as a light weight - I didn't get too excited about wonederland because I was already 195lbs on the day of surgery. (I am only 5ft2).  So I hope that the sleeve/plication will work as required, because I am now ready to work it.

Marlene, I was scared about dumping and GERD and all sorts of other things my self.  I think you need to weigh up if there are some things that will bother you less than being overweight and everything else that goes with a lifestyle of obesity.    I was lucky and I didn't develop GERD and don't think I have it now either.  My mum however has dumping and she has never had WLS, so try to keep things in perspective, be positive about not having complications or negative side effects and do what is going to be the best for you in the long run.

I am not a cut out carbs/sugars from my life person, and will only be counting my calories and exercising to maintain my weight losss.  I do know that there are a lot who feel that the only way this works for them is to do so though.

I think the most important thing, is to cut yourself some slack and figure out what motivates you to do the best you can for yourself.

Take Care all and thanks for the good wishes. I am doing very well and feel very well. The scale is a bit stationary this week, but I'm sure it will move sooner or later...

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

Most Active
Recent Topics