Medically necessary VBG to RNY revision.

Jmarie203
on 11/8/18 12:12 pm

Has anyone gone through the process of getting a revision approved via Medicaid? Since it's mesically necessary would I need to do the whole 6 month program?

Bbwgirl44
on 12/18/18 7:21 pm

I had a failed VBG 20 years ago. I have a hiatal hernia, Gerd, diabetes, and high blood pressure. Medicaid approved me and my revision is January 3rd. Hope this helps, good luck!

michelle A.
on 1/5/19 2:27 pm - newport

ð?'? hi,

I have. In 1997 I had a VBG and did wonderful, I started at 407lbs and lost 200 lbs and kept it off till 2007 when I had skin removal surgery (that's a WHOLE other story)and went down to 180lbs.

But by 2010 I started not being able to keep food down and eventually I was down to 129lbs (I was 5'10" and looked sick) I knew my Gastric ring must be eroding but refused to have it checked because I didn't want to have it removed and gain weight.

by 2014 it had eroded thru enough I could eat again and I needed the food so I ate, A lot! By 2017 I weighed over 220 pounds and finally went looking to have it removed. It was just hanging out in my throat and it was horrible because I couldn't find a dr to touch me because my ring was a Silastic ring and they have a horrible complication rate for revisions.

Medicaid never gave me an issue, I HAD TO HAVE IT REMOVED, it was a foreign body and making me sick. In 2018 I found a dr who knew the material and agreed to do the surgery (removal and full revision to gastric bypass)

So November 27th I had the surgery and I've been sick ever since (bronchiole infection, just another complication, ugh!)

Two weeks before surgery on November 13th I started my liquid diet and weighed 267lbs. Today I weigh 206lbs, only because I can't eat because I'm still so sick and nauseous all the time, it's not good I lost all this weight so damn fast and my ammune system is just depleted.

I wish you luck, it can be a very hard road after removals and revisions. Make sure your ready for all the complications that can happen.

michelle A.
on 1/5/19 2:34 pm - newport

Sorry I forgot to answer the one question-

I didn't need the 6 month program because I'd been thru the first surgery. My dr did however make me stop vaping nicotine for 6 months before he would touch me. He also made me take 1 pre surgery class, but just 1 individual class that's it, I went to it a week before surgery.

I wish they had taught me something that would of been useful, like how different this surgery is to VGB! I also wish I could of just had another VGB put in, I'm not enjoying all the side effects of gastric bypass.

JoyceannTuck
on 2/6/19 7:58 pm - DEER PARK, WA
Lap Band on 04/07/11 with

I had to have a medically necessary band to RNY revision..
I had to the 6 month medically monitored weight loss program through my surgeon before they'd make application to my insurance for coverage of the procedure...

Most Active
Recent Topics