Lapband revision to bypass

Ange601
on 6/17/22 4:55 am
Revision on 05/23/22

Hi All,

I am Andrea, live in Brooklyn, NY. I had my lapband to bypass revision on May 23, 2022. Had my band placed Nov of 2011. My highest weight was 258. I lost a total of 38 pounds with my band but lots of inches. Size 24/26 pants down to an 18! I was very happy. Was able to get up off the floor, was a very active football mom.until I got hit by a car in 2018.

In 2020 I began having terrible acid reflux and pain. Went to my gastro and found 3 esophageal ulcers. After being put on meds for a few months, 2 of the 3 were healed. He sent me back to my surgeon.

After many tests and scans, we discussed revision since the ulcer that could not heal was at the point where band meets stomach.

And so my bypass revision story began. The revision to bypass happened on May 23rd of tjis year. My starting weight this time was at 244. Between preop liquids until now post op 3 weeks I am down to 224.

I started puree last week per the surgeon and have one more before starting soft foods. I have seen the scale go up since a pound or two and don't understand when I'm tracking and not having more than 600 calories.

I am still feeling some soreness inside. Not quite sure what I'm supposed to be feeling, if this is normal but I'm sure it is. Very different from my band. My incisions healed nicely and I still have some healing itching.

aphephobicfriend
on 11/4/22 5:39 pm - Ocala, FL

I had a band too but didn't have the success you did. My band was placed nov 2008 but was removed 5 months later and I almost died in the process.

It seems crazy that you're gaining weight and only having that amount of calories but I know sometimes things fluctuate. Try not to get discouraged or worry about it yet.

As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly!
Ange601
on 11/16/22 7:27 am
Revision on 05/23/22

Hi and thank you! I am now 6 months post op and am amazed and thrilled. I am down 54 pounds and am eating. I eat whatever I want but am watchful. I'm thrilled with the progress and look forward to continued losses.

BECKY3074
on 1/16/24 3:06 pm

i have the lapband and they want to do a gastric bypass now because of acid and gaining weight. i am very nervous regarding it i have had people say after the bypass you can become vitamin deficiency and malnourished. i am on the fence . i should also say they just found out i have hashimotos and gained 50 pds. people are telling me tha t if you were to take a bite of a reeses pb cup you will get sick and throwup if you eat anything with sugar. i am worried i live in small town that doesnt have a big grocery store so im limited. and i dont look at back of package on things. please any help or insite would be wonderful.

catwoman7
on 1/23/24 10:13 am, edited 1/23/24 2:35 am
RNY on 06/03/15

well, you COULD become malnourished and vitamin deficient, but taking supplements prevents that. If you don't keep on top of your supplements, then yes - that could be a problem. That's why it's so important to take your vitamins after RNY (and DS, too)

I've never heard of anyone throwing up after one bite of a Reese cup or anything with sugar. About 30% of RNY'ers dump, but that can be prevented by not eating a bunch of sugar at one sitting (and I'm not talking about one bite of a Reese's - we're talking like a cup or more of ice cream, for example). Most dumpers can tolerate some sugar in one sitting - just not a lot. And about 70% of us never dump at all. I never have. Unfortunately, I could eat an entire PINT of ice cream with no trouble at all, unfortunately (unfortunately because I was hoping I WOULD dump to keep me from eating too much sugar!)

Also, dumping generally involves diarrhea, abdominal cramping, heart palpitations, and dizziness. Vomiting can happen, but it's not as common because dumping is caused by too much sugar entering your small intestine too quickly, and the intestines go into overdrive trying to deal with it. So the "action" is in the intestines rather than the stomach.

food restrictions are limited the first month or so, then gradually they drop off until about the six-month mark, when there are no restrictions at all. You should have no problem finding what you're supposed to eat those first few weeks, even living in a small town.

if you want to see what actual RNY patients eat, then lurk on the RNY menu thread for a few days. That should give you a realistic idea.

P.S. LOTS of people have revised from lap band to either RNY or VSG. In fact, there are a few of us on the RNY menu thread *****vised from lap band. I really encourage you to check out that thread if you want a lot more insight into RNY from people who've had it - some of us are many years out and have been on the site for years.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Most Active
Recent Topics