Thinking of Mexico

BillieF
on 12/3/09 12:04 pm - prince albert, Canada
I am thinking of going to mexico for WLS what do you think of it.

wannabhealthy45
on 12/4/09 1:28 am - Canada
I went..twice actually...once for lapband, second time a revision to the sleeve.  I had a great experience both times and if I had to do it again I would in a heart beat.  That being said, you need to do a lot of research and make sure it is the right thing for you.  It's a very personal choice...

Good luck in your decision :)

Band 7/13/08-419.5 lbs  VSG 9/3/09-346 lbs  DS 3/7/11 - 315 lbs   CW: 197

BillieF
on 12/17/09 3:32 am - prince albert, Canada
SO NOT MANY REPLEYS.I AN THINKING OF GOING TO DR JOYA IN MEXICO IN APRIL.I AM HAVING A HARD TIME DIECIDING IF I WANT A RNY OR VSG.I KNOW THERE IS LESS COMPLECATIONS WITH VSG..NOT SURE ABOUT AFTER CARE IN SASK IF I HAVE A COMP. AFTER I GET BACK.I AM SCARED THAT THE VSG WILL NOT GIVE ME THE LOSS I WANT.AS I WILL NOT HAVE THE MONEY TO GO BACK IN 16 MONTHS FOR A REVISION.SO ANY REPLEY WOULD BE GREATFULL..

BILLIE
StrawWalker
on 12/21/09 12:10 pm
Hey Billie,
   I was thinking of going to Mexico too.  I am from Sask as well and getting entirely frusterated with the whole "hurry up and wait" thing.  I am on the list for Sask surgery however I will never do the RNY due to all the risks associated with it.  I then asked my Dr. to send me to weight wise in Alberta because they do the VSG there.  I have been hearing quite positive things about that procedure.  The loss is very close to that of the RNY but less risk.  It is my understanding that I will be on a waiting list for approx 18 months where I have to record everything I eat and wear and record steps from a pedometer daily.  Kind of feels like punishment for being fat if you know what I mean.  In any case, a big part of me has really been thinking about the Mexico thing.  My concerns, such as yours, are about the aftercare.  Doesnt seem that we have much support here in Sask.  Especially in the remote rural areas.  Not good.  
Please keep me posted on your choice and if you feel like talking about it, I sure would love to hear about your weight loss story.
In the meantime, take care.

Joel Sopp
on 12/28/09 2:07 pm - Redvers, Canada
Hey BillieF,

I myself had a RNY here in Regina through our Provincial Program. I've had amazing aftercare, as well as great support from the Multi-disciplinary Team.

As for what surgery is right for you, each person needs to decide why they are having WLS, what they expect out of the surgery. Those answers should help solidfy a choice for you.

Until Next Time I Remain,  
Joel Sopp

President
Saskatchewan Bariatric Support Group, Inc. (SBSG)
Direct: (306) 531-2751
Email: [email protected]
abbies_mom
on 1/13/10 10:05 am - Saskatoon, Canada

My hubby and I went to Dr. Lopez-Corvala in Tijuana in November.  Everything was great.  It was arranged by a nurse here in Saskatoon, [email protected].  We paid $9000 each.

Terri and a couple others liked Dr. Aceves.  Some others have gone to Dr. Almanza-Reyes (I thnk thats his name) and it costs anywhere from $5000 to $7000 from what I hear.  You can PM Stoongal or PeanutFreeMom or check out her website at www.weightlossforever.ca

We have a great support group of VSG'ers that meet once a month here.  I don't personally know anything about a RNY or its results.

Karen in Saskatoon

"When you know better, you do better" - Oprah Winfrey 
HW: 245, SW: 225, CW: 200, GW: something under 150
oh2bthinagain
on 1/2/10 10:35 am - Canada
Hey BillieF,

I went to Mexicali, Mexico in June, 2009 for VSG surgery and I have been very happy with the results so far.

It will be 7 months on January 5th and I am down 87 pounds.

All I suggest is you really do your research before making your decision - it is a very personal choice.

Please PM with any questions you may have - I would be more than happy to share my experience with you.

Good luck in your research.

Terri
Highest/Surgery/Current: 276/268/146 - CENTURY CLUB MEMBER 02/18/10!!

BillieF
on 1/18/10 5:44 am - prince albert, Canada
THANKS FOR THE REPLYS SO I AM THINKING OF BOOKING IN APRIL. MY NEKT QUESTION IS TO I NEED TO GET MY TWINRIXS SHOOTS IF I AM GOING TO MEXICO FOR WLS...WHAT DID OTHERS DO..

THANKS
abbies_mom
on 1/25/10 9:16 am - Saskatoon, Canada
I don't know if you need Twinrix for Mexico.  I had it already because we had gone to Bahamas last year.  You call Public Health and tell them where you are going and they will tell you what you need.  Do it soon.  They get really busy this time of year.  The water in our hospital was all filtered water but check it out wherever you are going. 

Consider reading Weight Loss Surery for Dummies.  I didn't read it but I wish I would have!  I hear its really good.  Also, this site is great for research.  I am sure you are welcome to come to our support group meetings too, before or after your surgery. 
"When you know better, you do better" - Oprah Winfrey 
HW: 245, SW: 225, CW: 200, GW: something under 150
(deactivated member)
on 1/28/10 1:11 am
Hi,
I'm new to this site as I just started to look into WLS. BillieF, I used to work at the Travel clinic in S'toon and we do recommend the twinrix and it might not be a bad idea to take the typhoid vaccine too. You can phone the clinic and usually over the phone they'll tell you if they are recommending any immunizations and then they'll book you an appointment. I'm wondering about the safety of the mexican blood supply. It is a developing country but these are private hospitals that talk about their fantastic facilities. I also realize that it is unlikely any blood products would be necessary, but I'd want to be sure...you know what I mean???
Most Active