New Life after care program

gracee44
on 5/23/11 8:55 am, edited 5/23/11 8:55 am
For those that have had Dr,Boyce/ D. Williams. How much have you used their after care program..and do you think it was helpful after sugery?
southernlady5464
on 5/23/11 4:42 pm
Coming here is far more helpful. That is, unless you had the RNY cause the staff treat all of us as if we all had the RNY.

I also was told by another patient that after surgery, you won't see your surgeon again, just the nurse, dietitian, and exercise person. And so far, I haven't seen Dr. Boyce since I left the hospital.

Dr. Boyce is an excellent surgeon but their aftercare isn't.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

gracee44
on 5/24/11 9:01 am
wow thats alot of money for not seeing the sergeon,..what bugs me is my insurance will pay for the diatitian, other programs in the aea only charge 500... but I know dr Boyce is one of the best , if not the best around here.. so I was just curiouse if you think you got your moneys worth
southernlady5464
on 5/24/11 9:05 am
No, but in order to use him as a surgeon we have no option. Many baratric surgeons are charging these fees altho I think his is one of the highest.

If my insurance company had not insisted on my staying in state, I would have found one who didn't charge the fee.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

KittenLove
on 5/25/11 2:00 am - Around Knoxville, TN
While I didn't use their aftercare program a whole lot, it's unavoidable to pay the fee to have access to a great surgeon. In fact, I wanted a DS but he wasn't doing it at the time and I didn't want to travel far away for WLS. My insurance didn't pay the fee either but it was a small price to pay for what I've gained (and I don't mean weight either)

Here's the thing: when I DID need the aftercare program it was there. I am a huge proponent of patients taking it into their own hands and not relying on a nutritionist or exercise physiologist for every single little question -- they are there for guidance, not day by day instruction.

You are your own best advocate.

Be happy. 

kimber42445
on 7/14/11 10:54 am - KY
 Wow...this is so crazy!...i had to go to ER today because of intense terrible hell binding pain in my stomach.  I am 3 weeks today since I had RNY..SO here I am laying in bed feeling some better although ER DR. was nice and did the best to his abilities in a small rual area.  MY DR WILLIAMS HAS JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH ME!!!!..He personally called to check on me!...So his aftercare is wonderful in my opinion...He ordered me the medications I need to get by until I see him on Wednesday,...God Bless his heart!....Wouldn't hav any other DR in the world!....
gracee44
on 7/15/11 9:00 am
Hope u feel better soon... Nice to know that they do support us after surgery.. !

Generic User_Name
on 7/16/11 10:47 am
The Dr. Williams Kimber is referring to is Dr. Brandon Williams at Vanderbilt, not Dr. Keary Williams at New Life Center for Bariatric Surgery. I was a patient of Dr. Keary Williams for the initial surgery consult.

Dr. Boyce is a wonderful surgeon. He did an excellent job on my wife's DS. My wife's only complication since her surgery is she has to undergo gallbladder surgery very soon.

I also have issues with the fact they treat ALL WLS patients in my wife's case as though they have had the RNY.

Hope that helps.

gracee44
on 7/16/11 11:01 am
Thanks for clarifying , I have heard that they do that also...seams to me they need to offer spacific support for the surgery you have...I know we have to be our own advocate.. so when I have my nut class next month I will  be sure to have my questions for my spicific surgery answered.. at least I will try

Gracee 

Most Active
Recent Topics