OT: VA to DC

nightbird
on 4/6/11 7:01 am - Bowie, MD
 Hi All

My boss is moving to DC and wants me to move there and work for him.  My husband and I used to work at Los Angeles AFB so we are used to expensive cities with lots of traffic.  We are coming to visit the beginning of June to look at DC and different areas.  My husband has never been to the East Coast before.  We are thinking of Woodbridge (or Silver Springs/Wheaton, MD) since it looks like we could get a much nicer place than in Alexandria or Arlington...thinking 300-350K. Any other areas we could look at where the commute wouldn't be more than an hour?  Looks like via VRE or OMNI bus it is about an hour to DC to commute.  It is just my husband and I as well as two dogs so we were thinking about a townhouse with a small yard so we don't have to walk them before work or bad weather.  We are used to bad weather since lately we work north of Salt Lake City now...expecting snow in the next couple of days (sometimes into late May too).

Thanks for your help and have a great day.

Lisa
caroline2622
on 4/6/11 8:12 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
I live in Woodbridge  Lake Ridge area    Just sold my house tonight!   It is a great area with walking paths and parks   Considered one of the safest area in the county.  

Contact Carment Luther   Weichart Realty   Excellant !!   703 897-4777

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
nightbird
on 4/6/11 9:15 am - Bowie, MD
 Thank you...I really appreciate the information and the name of a real estate agent.  We will be out there in about seven weeks to see if we like it.  We are well used to traffic from living in LA but since I haven't been there since I was a teenager and my husband has never been there....we have been guessing on areas to look at.  

Thanks again, 

Lisa
caroline2622
on 4/6/11 9:56 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Woodbridge has a lot of transportation options to get into DC     bus, car pools and train stations.    Can transfer in Springfield for the Metro.    Lots of commuter parking lots.  

Good luck    I will be in NC by time you are here.  Keep in touch ! 

lost 140 lbs     

nightbird
on 4/6/11 1:26 pm - Bowie, MD
 Thank you for all your help.  Funny...my sister is in the middle of moving from NC (Kill Devil Hills) to Colorado for a job.  I hope your move goes smoothly.  I will let you know how our visit to DC goes.  
McMoo
on 4/8/11 12:36 pm - Springfield, VA
VSG on 02/16/15
Check out West Springfield/Burke!  Lots of good townhouse options, nice and suburban, tons of treesand grass, and trails that we take our pup out on  !! Good public transportation too! 

pregnancy due date

nightbird
on 4/8/11 2:25 pm - Bowie, MD
 Thank you, I appreciate the advice.  I will take a look and we will plan on renting a car and driving there when we visit in early June.   We have two German shepherds so the trails sound great.  Have a great weekend.

Lisa
caroline2622
on 5/6/11 11:37 pm - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Wondered about your house hunting in VA  

Sold my house and in less than 30 days I am now in Wilmington NC    

lost 140 lbs     

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/11 1:24 am - Woodbridge, VA
Congrats on the quick sell! If we weren't more than $100k upside-down on our mortgage compared to current resale value, we'd be trying to sell ours, too.
caroline2622
on 5/7/11 1:31 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Was lucky that I lived in my house for 25 years.  Came out ok      I have alot of friends in the same boat.    Live off of Springwood, seeing a solid hold last year and this year.   Felt it was the time to get out.  

Married a guy *****tired to Wilmington NC .. Been commuting about 7 years.   Just retired. 

Take care

lost 140 lbs     

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 865 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2191 views