pureed food?

Dee K.
on 12/27/05 6:37 am - Oak Hill, VA
hi friends.. i "lurk" more than i post, but i do keep up with this virginia board. i had my surgery one week ago with dr schweitzer at johns hopkins and am doing the dreaded "pureed" diet for a month. would anyone have any good ideas for me? thanks, dee
Betsy Anitahug
on 12/27/05 7:10 am - Danville, VA
Be thankful, Dee....I had my surgery Dec 16 and still on clear liquids!!!! I am looking forward to the pureed stage. I want low fat cottage cheese and babyfood fruit! Can't wait...get creative...I sure am going to. Good luck and hope you do well. Hugs Betsy
Ms Court
on 12/28/05 5:21 am - Remington, VA
Hey Betsy! Just wanted to warn you. The baby food fruit is high in sugar (11-14 grams in one little jar). Please double check this with your nutritionist before you start it. It might be better to puree fresh fruit. Courtney 3 1/2 weeks out 305/280/155
Kathy & Rich
on 12/28/05 7:33 am - Fairfax, VA
Betsy, Baby food doesn't have enough nutrition for what it is worth. The cottage cheese would do you much better! I was lucky...I managed to do well with pureed meats (not beef though - I avoided that for quite a while) - chicken, pork, turkey, etc. and fish too. I did great with pureed tuna salad and chicken salad. They were staples for me early on - key is that they are moist and protein dense! Hugs, Kathy
A10sFrau
on 12/27/05 9:03 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
Hi Dee, About a week ago I typed up puree recipes from the required-reading book MCV patients are given, and sent them to Melissa Smith. When she returns fromt he hospital maybe she will forward them to you. i just checked to see if I still had them in my "sent" box, but I cleaned it out this weekend. Lois
jjuva13
on 12/27/05 6:40 pm - Onancock, VA
I kinda liked pureed Chick-Fil-a nuggets. Just put a few ina blender with some chicken broth and its pretty good.
Ms Court
on 12/28/05 5:19 am - Remington, VA
Hi Dee. I puree lots of different things. Chicken, beans, pork chops, shrimp, pot roast, turkey, for protein, as far as vegetables I have done green beans, lima beans, zuchinni, yellow squash, broccoli. You just have to watch out for starchy things, and breaded things, be careful of different sauces. A lot of people use some gravy (just a little) with their meat so that it is moist. cottage cheese (low fat, small curd) apple sauce, fruit, scrambled eggs are also good choices. Courtney 3 1/2 weeks out 305/280/155
(deactivated member)
on 12/28/05 8:46 am - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Dee - If it's high in protein, not too high in fat and carbs and can fit in a blender - I ate it! At the EARLY PostOp stages - you'll be lucky to get a couple of bites in before feeling full. Or at least that was the case for me. With that in mind, I was not overly worried about the excessiveness of carbs/fats/or calories, since my daily grand whopping total was a mere 300 to 500 calories. LOL - one thing I stayed CLEAR of was anything that came in a babyfood jar. I used to feel SO guilty feeding my son that as a baby and it was all I could do not to barf as he was spitting it up, there is no way in hades I was about to shovel that stuff into my mouth. Granted, once you puree stuff like tuna, chicken, 'sgetti, veggies - it tends to look like babyfood, but I "knew" better, which made it DELISH! Good luck - Lei
Dee K.
on 12/28/05 8:56 am - Oak Hill, VA
thanks, guys.. believe me.. i don't do baby food.. yuck! i didn't even give it to my own son.. so it's definitely not going into me!! i've only pureed "real" food i've pureed a lentil soup that a dear friend made, (delish and lots of protein!) cottage cheese w/ no sugar applesauce, ..eggs didn't do very well, so i'm waiting a while for that... and let's see chicken w/ lowfat cream of chicken soup... everything is very soupy, very pureed and so far, so good! also.. i'm getting in two protein shakes a day.. so i'm pleased! thanks for all of the advice! dee
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 867 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2193 views