Am I done losing already??!

Trish-hoping
on 3/30/11 11:56 pm - Benton, Canada
Ok so I am about 5.5 months out and everyone said the weightloss would slow down but mine has basically quit for now. I am eating about the same as a couple months ago and liquids, protein is the same. I have started to exercise, perhaps a bit to agressive the first couple of weeks because I hurt my right knee from walk/jogging  and am taking a bit of a break this week to heal. I lost 90lbs in 5 months but still have 92lbs to go til goal. So what is the deal? I have heard of the 6 month stall... I am just really hoping I am not done completely... thanks for listening Trish
HW-362 SW-330  (21lbs lost on pre-op diet)  Over HALF way there!!  
Birdie55
on 3/31/11 12:06 am
Trish, I don't know how long you've been exercising, but a couple of us recently posted about our weight loss stalling just after we started exercising. Each of us had been exercising for 3 weeks and hadn't lost anything since we started.

Each of us found during the 3rd or 4th week that we started losing again. It may have been an exercise stall....water weight in our muscles. The 4th week, I started losing again and am still creeping downward.

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Dawnie 88
on 3/31/11 12:06 am
You're definitely not done losing.  As long as you are getting in your protein and water, and exercising, the weight will eventually start to come off again.  Just try and keep positive, as stalls happen along the way.  My first real stall was at about 7 mths postop, and I stopped losing for a few months.  I've just started losing again though, and I did lose some inches during that time of not losing pounds.

I also lost my first 100 lbs in 5 mths and 10 days..but since then have only lost an additional 33 lbs in the last 6 mths or so.  I have no doubt I can get the rest of this weight off, but your body will need time along the way to adjust to all the changes.

Think of how much you've lost already..and how great you must feel!!

George B.
on 3/31/11 12:15 am - Miami, FL
My weight loss slowed down at 6 months post-op and I noticed I had less restriction. I reviewed what I was eating (I track my food on myfitnesspal.com) and realized the bulk of my protein was coming from soft sources like protein shakes, cheese, Greek yogurt, beans.

I changed to dense protein, mainly tender beef and seafood, and saw my weight loss resume and felt a lot of restriction. Dense protein fills you up with a small amount and keeps you full longer. I can eat 8 oz. of Lentil soup with no problem but 4 oz. of steak fills me right up.

Limiting my carbs to less than 40 grams per day was also instrumental for my continued weight loss. When my carbs got too high my weight loss slowed.

Review what you are eating and make appropriate adjustments. Cut out slider foods like bread, rice, potato, chips, carbs in general. You can eat slider foods all day long and feel no restriction.

Dense protein and regular physical activity were responsible for me reaching my weight loss goal and maintaining.

Good luck,
George

byebyeburden
on 3/31/11 12:20 am
I experienced a stall around 2-3 months that seemed to last for 1-1.5months.  I lost very little during this time; maybe 2 lbs.  anyways, it was right when I started exercising.  I also wasn't eating 'perfectly'.  So, I spent 1-2 weeks and really paid attention to what I was eating, I upped my eggs and protein in general.  I seemed to break that stall and have been losing again. 

I totally thought this was it and I would be 198-202 forever; but today I weighed and am 192....so I have hope to be out of the 190s by my 5month surgeriversery.  Good Luck. 

Stay positive and keep up the healthly eating....
~Emily
Surgery Date Weight: 255 

Goal 1: 199 reached 3/4/11
Goal 2: 175
Goal 3: 150
Goal 3: 129

Trish-hoping
on 3/31/11 12:38 am - Benton, Canada
Wow thank you all so much for the encouragement and great advice. It is certainly possible that to many carbs have snuck in and I am not eating quite as much of the dense proteins as George said. The exercise thing makes sense as well. My poor body wouldn't know what to do with that as its been years since I have been able to do any exercise so to speak! I guess this can be a bit of a wakeup call for me to be more mindful of what is happening with my eating and such, it was just so easy the first few months and I got spoiled by that:) Thanks again and here's hoping things pick up with the weightloss!! Trish
Pattie_M
on 3/31/11 1:20 am - TX

Take your measurements.  I found when the scale wasn't moving my measuring tape was.

Stay true to your plan and the weight will come off.

Blessings,

Pattie

BandtoSleeve
on 3/31/11 4:43 am - Redmond, WA
VSG on 08/26/10 with
On March 31, 2011 at 8:20 AM Pacific Time, Pattie_M wrote:

Take your measurements.  I found when the scale wasn't moving my measuring tape was.

Stay true to your plan and the weight will come off.

Blessings,

Pattie
I very much agree with Pattie. I haven't lost much weight lately but the inches are coming off. I've had to buy new pants even though my weight hasn't changed much over the past couple months.

There was also a post on here about making sure you got enough water and it's important role in getting rid of toxins and fat.

Best of luck to you. Sorry to hear about the knee problems, perhaps you can stop by a medical supply store or even Walgreens and get a support brace to help you out?
Lap Band Aug. 2005, Revision to VSG and Band Removed Aug. 2010

rocko55
on 3/31/11 1:37 am - Lauderhill, FL
Also most people have the famous 5 month stall I had my only stall at 5 months lasted about 4 weeks. I started walking and 2 weeks later boom 20 pounds dropped off. just stick with the program.
Lost 5 pounds preop                    
Trish-hoping
on 3/31/11 4:31 am, edited 3/31/11 4:32 am - Benton, Canada
Thanks guys, Rocko that makes me want to cheer, i could sure use that pick me up!! I guess I will keep on keeping on. I also feel maybe I should be tracking my food. I really have no clue my calories. I know my protein is where it is supposed to be but maybe if I keep better track I will know better where i am. Another thing is the snacking to often, surely out of boredom which is a no-no. Thanks for all the help guys as usual...Trish
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views