Starting Preop diet early??

jennkitt
on 4/1/11 7:30 am - MI
I can't decide if I want to start my pre-op diet early....

I am supposed to start 4/11, but am thinking about starting this Monday, just so I can feel like I am doing something, you know?  For the last month I have replaced one meal with a shake, and that is fine.  I just can't decide if I want to have "last meals" that I won't be able to have for a bit, which in my mind seems counterproductive....

What did you all do?  Last meals..... longer pre-op liquid??

Thanks!
Jenn
HW: 305, Consult: 285, Day of surg:261

momstephanie
on 4/1/11 7:34 am - GA
Yes, My last meal was at Long Horns had a steak salad and sweet potatoes and Margaritas...I miss that steak...It was hard enough doing it for 10 days I don't think I could have done it longer but mine was a VERY strict diet.
Shame is the lie someone told you about yourself." Anais Nin
"Nothing Taste as good as thin feels" unk

justeric78
on 4/1/11 7:35 am - Houston, TX
Thats funny I was having the same emotional tug of war. I decided that if I was serious about doing it this time I should start now and not when I "have to". I have been semi dieting for the last couple weeks and plan to do my liquid diet for a full month.

KrisJ77
on 4/1/11 7:41 am - TX
I didn't! My 2 week preop diet was hard enough!! Lol!!  My last meals was an awesome pizza from BJ's...I remember it well!! Lol!! 

wildfan
on 4/1/11 7:48 am
 My doc suggested I start mine early.  He requires 10 days, but suggested the sooner I could start mine the better to drop some weight pre-op.  I started March 17 with liquid for breakfast and lunch, then a low fat, sensible dinner.  Then Sat March 19 I went to BWW for one last "farewell food" meal, and have been on liquids ever since.

The good:
I've dropped 31 pounds and counting in 12 days.
I'm getting between 70 and 110 grams of protein a day
I'm under 20 g of fat a day
I'm between 950 and 1,300 calories a day

The bad:
20+ days is a LONG TIME to go without food.  I'm told post-op its no biggie because you are healing.  But I am struggling hardcore with the mental aspect.  Today was my last day before the "official" 10 day pre-op starts for my surgeons program, and I SO BADLY wanted to hit a drive through for a cheeseburger, or even Subway for a 6 inch.  Just SOMETHING to chew.  But I persevered, and have not given in.  But the cravings are HARD.

I wish I could offer you more advice.  For me, the transition was pretty easy the first week plus.  The last few days have been harder as I am missing food more.  Get yourself prepared mentally, that is the hardest.

Good luck!
NoEscape21
on 4/1/11 7:55 am - Apopka, FL
I leave on vacation on Tuesday so while I plan to keep myself in check on vacation I am not going to diet til I get back. I was told I only need to do 1 week pre op diet but  when I come back from vacation i will be about a month away so I figure it can't hurt to at least start getting into  the zone.
  Unicorns fart rainbows and magic!              HW:272 SW:260 GW:120
 Blog:  Weighed Down: A blog about becoming a former fat girl
Youtube: 
No Escape's Channel Join: The Pin -Up Girls: Vixens in progressLilySlim Weight loss tickers

MiaZ
on 4/1/11 8:09 am
I started my pre-op diet 4 days early, I wasn't as strick as I have to be now that I am officially on it.  I let myself have 1 fruit a day and some low fat yogurt as well.  I just wanted a few extra days under my belt so that when my pre-op diet officially started and I couldn't have anything else I wasn't struggling with hunger so badly. Yesterday was officially my first day and it wasn't bad at all.  My kids brought pizza home yesterday and I'm not going to lie I was really tempted to cheat but I didn't do it, I'm so close to my surgery date now that I don't want to screw anything up!! 

Good luck to you, whatever you decide!!

Sooz.L.
on 4/1/11 8:11 am - United Kingdom
I had a series of goodbyes to the food I love.
I said goodbye to Fish and chips quite early on in early January
I said goodbye to Indian take aways next
I said goodbye to big fat full english breakfasts the day after my birthday. (It was lovely though)
I said goodbye to my favourite cavery Roast dinners at our favourite pub
Then I said goodbye to chinese takeaways.
I literally said good bye to them. Not so long or see you later I said goodbye.
The pre op is hard hard hard.  life after sleeve is easy easy easy.  I can eat anything but just in VERY small portions. Somethings you eat and you think to yourself I don't like that anymore.I won't have that again.
by the way I did loose a bit of weight before my 2 week diet and I did not really stuff myself with fast food and resturant meals
Good luck with what you decide to do
Sue

jennkitt
on 4/1/11 8:23 am - MI
Thanks for all of your responses!  It seems everyone did something different , which is what I expected

I wouldn't be worried about one farewell meal, but I am affraid it will turn into more.... the Schwann's guy just visited.... damn him, I was weak and got some icecream.

Jenn
HW: 305, Consult: 285, Day of surg:261

godknowsican
on 4/1/11 8:27 am - MD
Im scheduled for april 25 also. I'm starting my liquid on april 11

I don't think I can start sooner. I know it will be hard enough for me to stay on for two weeks.

Good luck to you.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views