Doctor visits today

beckysuea
on 4/4/11 1:46 pm
I am a Kaiser patient and today I had to go to the psych, internist and the surgeon.   Long day.

I passed the psych and internist's visits without a problem.

Then I went to see the surgeon.    He told me that I was going to need a IVC filter put in because I have big legs.   He also told me that I was at a high risk for the surgery because I am over 50, I am a female, and my BMI is over 50 and probably because I need the filter.

Now I am really worried.   

Luckily that was the only thing wrong.  Nothing physical.

I did see a heavy lady who the doctor told me had the sleeve three years ago, she got skinny and then her weight started creeping up.   

It is going to be probably after summer before I have the surgery but the surgeon wants me to start taking a protein drink for a meal now and basically go on Atkins diet to lose as much weight as I can.
tanieanie
on 4/4/11 1:57 pm - WI
I belive surgeons are hard wired to prepare you for the worst and to expect the best.   Im sure he is just letting you know the risks and he wouldnt do the surgery if the risk was too high or if the risk of surgery outweighed the risk of being overweight.  So do your best to do your part and get as healthy as possible and follow your Dr's orders.
loolootoo
on 4/4/11 2:02 pm
well there is nothing wrong with getting a second opinion......it might help you feel better about the treatment plan.

at surgery last fall my age was 52 and my bmi was 46. 

as far as the lady who's regaining her weight.....i've really learned one important thing about the sleeve.   it is not a magic calorie eraser.  if we don't change our eating behavior we will not be successful!

it is a tool.  a very effective and powerful tool.   it's not magic.  i work very hard at eating healthy...following the guidelines and working out.   i have lost weight quickly and easily by being very diligent!

people ask me how i will stop losing weight when i reach my goal.  i honestly tell them i'm hoping a bowl of ice cream every evening will supply enough calories to keep my weight up!

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/11 3:10 pm
Wow I never heard of that I am knocking right at 50's door. Maybe you should get a second opinion like the other member said. I  couldn't hurt. I wish you well. Keep us posted.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 78 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views