Guys - testosterone/libido questions

snowbaby
on 4/13/11 11:51 am - Durango, CO
I hope this isn't too personal to ask...I'm hoping to get some insight on what changes guys can expect.  My husband has decided to have WLS (VSG). 

He has ultra-low testosterone...no libido which means we have a sexless marriage. I am hoping with weight loss all that will change. Anyone have any idea what to expect???
      Sue 

Bichon Mom2 Oval Sticker

gs4060
on 4/13/11 11:58 am - FL
I am about 6 weeks preop, but I can tell you that one thing that really made my T-level go from very low to back into the normal range was Testim, an Rx testosterone gel (1%). You apply once a day after a shower onto clean skin, rub the gel into the upper torso muscles. Worked much, much better than another brand gel called AndroGel. As for libido, it went thru the roof. Look into it....it helped me (I mean us).
snowbaby
on 4/13/11 12:00 pm - Durango, CO
Thanks for sharing...I will check it out.
      Sue 

Bichon Mom2 Oval Sticker

thisbe777
on 4/13/11 12:08 pm
here is an article you may find encouraging:  gastricbypasstruth.com/109/gastric-bypass-surgery-boosts-lib ido-now-thats-a-benefit/

the study was on men who had bypass, but the explanation of the results would likely to apply to a man who had VSG too...

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

Ulysses
on 4/13/11 1:13 pm
Snowbaby -

Never fear, from what I have read - all will be more than good down there after VSG.
Fat turns testosterone into estrogen. Estrogen is not good for men. Low testosterone is not good for men...Obviously.
Here are two links for you;
One is called "Uhh - Endowment?"
The other is called "Morning Wood and other things"
They are both from the Vertical Sleeve Talk "ManRoom" -
Enjoy! 

www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/14250-morning-wood-and-othe r-things/

www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/4904-um-endowment/
VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

snowbaby
on 4/13/11 9:41 pm - Durango, CO
ha....those were some very interesting discussions!!! Sure gives me hope!
      Sue 

Bichon Mom2 Oval Sticker

FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 4/13/11 9:49 pm - New Orleans
Well snowbaby, I don't know about the low testosterone issue--maybe he can talk to a doctor about that?  I had a high sex drive before surgery, but it's in super-high speed now.  So surely his libido is bound to improve.  But I've heard of it going the other way too.  One thing is for sure though:  When you're smaller, sex is much, much better.  So if he can get these other issues addressed, he's sure to enjoy it alot more.

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

Bruce S.
on 4/13/11 10:57 pm - Portland, TN
His PCP can run the blood test but his urologist is the one that would need to write the script for Testim.
Spanky123
on 4/13/11 11:40 pm
My husbands testosterone was low and he tried the cream, but didnt work, so now I inject him weekly. It not only helps wiht libido and "function", it has given him his mental clarity and energy back. He feels like a different person now. If it doesnt go up after surgery, go to Urologist, this is easily treated
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views