Pro and Con Lists. Got one?

Tracey W.
on 4/14/11 12:12 pm
I've been nervous about surgery and the outcome, success or not, etc.I'm a list maker, so, to try to get myself off of the fence I did a pro and con list. Then, I answered the cons with logic. Have you done this?? Here's mine
:
Reasons for surgery: I’ll have more control over how much I eat with sleeve Permanent tool for weight control Almost guaranteed major weight loss Can I lose enough without it? I need to be healthier I would probably lose my motivation if I didn’t have the surgery looming? By losing 72 pounds, I have already shown that I can handle some changes in eating Every chunk of weight I lose helps me to feel more like a regular person again How long do you think your body is going to put up with all of this extra weight? Pre-diabetic already Gallbladder, heart, kidneys, all of me, would be happier and healthier Knees would feel less stress, more mobility and less pain I could be more social if I wanted to There’s a whole support structure out there for this The doctors and the hospital are very competent I need to work so I can be financially stable and independent I’m better than the lump I became in my chair   Reasons against surgery: I’m very scared of the surgery and the permanent changes there will be surgeries ahead if you don’t lose weight: knees, heart, gallbladder, etc I could die or have painful, dangerous complications the weight will kill me pretty quickly too and it’s not fun not being able to get around much or not being loved by “someone special" I don’t want to be forced to change. Too bad. Your body is too big and MUST change. You aren’t really happy being so fat Sometimes I think that I can just keep losing weight myself possibly, but even with the surgery and check-ins there is way too much wiggle room in how you eat I like being able to eat a lot, sometimes Do you like living? As long as you’re alive, the yummy food will be there another day, or for leftovers What about the acid reflux getting worse? What if it goes away. Also, staying too fat will make the reflux worse anyway. My anxiety might make every twitch or pang really scary It already does that. I’m afraid that I won’t be able to eat my favorite things anymore Your body is tired of you beating it up. Your heart, gallbladder, esophagus, pancreas, all of you is sick of being sick. You need to have some control over your intake What if something happens and I can’t get to the hospital quickly? Same goes for gallbladder attacks, heart attacks, diabetes emergencies, etc
Trying to build a better life, one good choice at a time.  
"Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain."-Ruby Gettinger        
jbskaggs
on 4/14/11 12:43 pm - holt, MO
 Your fears could happen whether or not you have surgery.  If you have a stroke, heart attack, or develope serious diabetic problems you will be in serious trouble.

Maybe dead.

The question should be: Can I save my life without this surgery?  If so how and why hasn't happened before.

As far as the surgery safety go it is one of the safest in the nation.

JB

Elaine2
on 4/14/11 12:51 pm - Atlanta, GA

Well, I didn't make a list but had allot of conversations with myself.
My only "con" was my fear of surgery...like most others.  I had never ever had any type of surgery.
I was afraid I wouldn't make it through.

So truthfully, I had my affairs in order and the last thing I said to the surgeon was
Please make sure I wake up......100, 99,98, 97.....

Everything has gone fine and best decision ever!

cjpenn728
on 4/14/11 3:26 pm - LA
I'm a religious person and I prayed every step of the way. I had peace about my surgery. If you feel so incline do the same! Good Luck!

5'4~ HW 274~ SW 268~ GW 150 or less
Becca20015
on 4/14/11 9:49 pm
LOVE IT!   Pray, Pray, and keep Praying.   I wish you the best on your journey.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views