stomach acid help.......

corimeyers24
on 4/26/11 1:49 am - TX
i take prevacid but its not working what is everyone else taking and is it over the counter or prescription

KrisJ77
on 4/26/11 1:57 am - TX
 Let me tell you - I had the worst pain yesterday - I think it was from my lunch - something Italian - frozen WW meal.  So anyway, I was driving home and I thought I was going to have to go the emergency room - I was hurting bad!!!  Well, I got home - searched my medicine cabinet and found Alka Seltzer that my mother in law had left.....I took it and within 2 minutes - NO MORE PAIN!!  It is now my new best friend!!!! 
FYI - I take a Nexium every morning too.

corimeyers24
on 4/26/11 2:10 am - TX
 i like maylox when heartburn comes on fast like that .. it works quick too but im looking for a daily medication to help with hungery if its acid

FaithForward
on 4/26/11 2:13 am - Houston, TX
I had to switch to prescription strengh prevacid. The OTC stuff just didn't cut in anymore. The Prevacid helps alot, but I can still feel the rumbling and the burning sometimes. I see my Dr. in another week and I'm going to discuss what we can do.
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded. ~2 Chronicles 15:7 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers 
5'6" ~ Loving a size 4 ~
Plastics Apr 17th, 2012 with Dr. Sauceda ~ BL, BA, LBL w/ flap aug & mini thigh lift!

Pixie-Power
on 4/26/11 4:22 am - Los Angeles, CA
I know I've posted this several times before, but it may bear repeating.  Pre-surgery, I suffered from SEVERE acid reflux, so bad that many times I'd wake up during the night with acid pooling in my throat.  I tried every medication conceivable, both OTC and prescribed.  The ONLY medicine that has worked for me is Nexium.  I take one 40 mg pill in the morning.  (My gastroenterologist emphasized that PPIs really only work when taken in the morning, unless you're prescribed a medicine that is taken twice a day.)  Everyone's metabolism is different, however, so what may work well for one person may not be effective for the next. 

I'd suggest you try different meds, giving yourself a week before you decide whether something works or not.  However, for me, relief with the Nexium was noticable within a day of taking it, and if I miss a dose, I know it before the day is out because by evening, the symptoms have returned.  

Also, if you're experiencing problems at night, try sleeping on your back with your neck and head propped up.  My symptoms were usually worse when sleeping on my back or side, but sleeping with my head raised proved to be so effective that we purchased a dual adjustable bed to make sleeping on my back but with my head raised a comfortable position.      

age: 53   5'1" tall   HW=231  SW=216  CW=139.8  GW=130         

MILLERSDAUGHTER
on 4/26/11 4:22 am - Lewisport, KY
VSG on 04/07/11 with
I also take Nexium eavery morning but still take the Zantac 150 mg twice a day that my doctor started me on after surgery.  I'm only 3 weeks out.  I take my Nexium in the morning, a Zantac mid day and another at bedtime.  If I have breakthrough, I take a GasX strip.
     Never, never, never give up!
...though she be but little, she is FIERCE...
A Midsummer Night's Dream
MILLERSDAUGHTER
on 4/26/11 4:23 am - Lewisport, KY
VSG on 04/07/11 with
The Zantac is OTC
     Never, never, never give up!
...though she be but little, she is FIERCE...
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views