Unjury Protein

MELMEL308
on 4/27/11 6:35 am - PA
Hi Everyone...

So I start my liquid diet on this coming Monday (May 2) and I am trying to figure out different proteins.. So far I love the Chocolate and vanilla of the atkins Advantage.  The protein is only 15 grams though.  I have tried the dreamsicle and the chocolate flavor of Jay Robb Powder and seem to like it. Each packet is 30grams of Protein which is much better.  I will be ordering the chocolate definitely. I just ordered 2 packets of the chocolate, 2 of the Vanilla, and 2 of the Chicken soup of Unjury Powder.  I have heard both negative and positive of the taste.. What are your thoughts?  I also wanted to know if anyone is using unjury, if there are any sugars.. I am a type 2 diabetic (jut recently diagnosed) and Ive noticed some of the protein shakes  have sugars. I have looked on the website and all i could find was that it has low carbs which makes me think its very low sugars as well...
any info would be apreciated!  Thanks!
                            ~Melanie~
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a beautiful butterfly"                                       
Herbie55
on 4/27/11 6:54 am - MI
In my honest opinion, I cannot take the chicken soup Unjury. I guess I thought it might be close to the flavor of broth, but it is not. I think the biggest problem is that you can only use lukewarm water to make it. Apparently when you use hotter water it clumps or something. I tried the Jay Robb strawberry, but did not see the dreamsicle. Personally, I like the Super Whey vanilla that I find in Walmart the best.
MELMEL308
on 4/27/11 7:15 am - PA
Yeah, I am kinf od nervous to try these powders.. A apart of me is already turned off from the thought of it, I am worried come surgery, i wont be able to stomach them...but I figured i would try them..especially during liquid stage pre op.  Thats why i have only bought a couple packets.  I will see how things goes.  The Dreamcicle Jay Robb powder was like a hint of orange cream.  Not bad but i really liked the chocolate.
Thanks for the tip! I will check out the Vanilla Super Whey...:-)
                            ~Melanie~
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a beautiful butterfly"                                       
emelar
on 4/27/11 6:56 am - TX
The websites for almost all of the  protein supplements will give you full nutritional information.  It's the easiest way to check.

I don't care much for any of the powdered proteins, but the Unjury chicken soup saved me post-op.  Everything else I could have was sweet, sweet, sweet, and the chicken soup was the only thing that wasn't.
Frantom
on 4/27/11 6:58 am
My surgeon had a cupboard area all set up with a specific brand "Bariatric Advantage" - It seemed kind of strange but he did also offer a sheet that showed what to buy if I wanted to purchase something else on my own.  I've had a hard time getting it all down (I chose strawberry) and called in.  The nurse suggested I mix it with Crystal Light lemonade - I'm not a big fan of Crystal Lite but I tell you - it made all the difference in the world.  Plus I mixed it with ice, got it really, really cold and kind of drank it quickly before it took on that slimey consistency. 

MELMEL308
on 4/27/11 7:10 am - PA
Yeah, My NUT also provided with a list of protein shakes and supplements that i could try, but like i said, alot of them had sugars which was weird because the whole purpose of the surgeries are low carbs and sugar intakes... unless i am finding the wrong ones, but this list has pictures..lol I can't be that dumb!!!
                            ~Melanie~
wert
on 4/27/11 6:59 am - MN
I have Unjury chicken soup but only used it to thin other food when I was in the puree stage. It added a little bit of protein and was a better flavor than jus****er.

I still use protein drinks to help boost my daily protein intake and I still like Unjury. I'm getting tired of it by now, tho, and some of the other brands with flavors other than the same old chocolate and vanilla sound good to me.

I don't have diabetes so don't pay any attention to the sugars. I'll bet you could find that info on the Unjury web site, tho. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Heather T.
on 4/27/11 8:25 am
I bought the sample pack of unjury. I haven't tried them all yet. 

Sugars:

Chicken Soup 1g
Vanilla with Sucralose 4g
Chocolate Splendor with Suralose 3g
Unflavored 0g
Chocolate Classic 3g
Strawberry Sorbet 3g

Here is the link to the nutritional facts:

http://www.unjury.com/reg/nutrition.shtml
(deactivated member)
on 4/27/11 8:36 am, edited 4/27/11 8:42 am

Coming home from surgery was very difficult for me.  I not only didn't want to drink I had trouble drinking.  I couldn't handle cold drinks.  The UNJURY chicken soup really saved me.  Funny thing was the whole idea of it turned me off and I didn't stock any in.  When I couldn't abide the sweetness of everything else my sister called UNJURY and had the chicken mix sent to me.  It arrived the next day.  My full liquids list said that I could have custard.  I thought some "real food" would be good so I had my sister make me some baked custard.

Baked custard:  bake in 4 ramekins
2 cups of milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup of splenda
dash of salt
1 tsp of vanilla

Mix well and put into ramekins, Place the ramekins into a pan, fill the pan around the ramekins with ho****er.  Bake at 350 until set.

II had heard that ones tastes changed after surgery.  But I never understood that.  For me what happened was every things taste and smell became INTENSE.  I couldn't stand it.  The soup and the custard were a Godsend.

I had my husband make me a double batch today and we added a scoop of vanilla protein powder (1 for each batch) to it to increase the protein value.  It turned out a bit too sweet tasting for me I might cut back on the splenda if I do it again.

P.S.  I lost 18 lbs. in my first week on basically this and warm tea.

tanieanie
on 4/27/11 9:06 am - WI
I like the Unjury unflavored.  You can add it to everything.  I make shakes with it, add it when making sugar free pudding, cream soups and everything.   Its great!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 74 views