Pain?

Becky S.
on 5/8/11 12:47 am - Grand Junction, CO
I don't react well to pain meds. What should I expect as far as type of pain and the intensity? Does it hurt because the muscle is cut? What is the stomach wall and does that hurt? Is morphine and oxycodone(?) necessary? How do those drugs affect you?

Also, what is the drain like?

Nicki88
on 5/8/11 2:09 am
Honestly yes it hurts.  I also dont react well to pain meds but Dr. A gave me something that I was OK with.  I got a little nauseous but they gave me something for that too. 

The pain is not TERRIBLE.  It feels like you did 1000 crunches. 

The drain that I had was really nothing.  Probably the least of it.  When they took it out I just took a deep breath and they pulled it out.  A little discomfort but nothing too bad.

Good luck with your surgery!
Surgery Date: 4/27/11 Dr. Aceves
emelar
on 5/8/11 2:20 am - TX
Talk to your doc about what kind of pain management and nausea management he provides.

I had the On-Q pump (it wicks pain meds directly to the incision sites) for the first day and I highly recommend it.  It's installed while you're under anesthesia.  I had no pain ever from the incisions.

Then I had the morphine pump for general pain.  Again, wonderful invention.

Liquid Lortab came home with me.  Other than making me drowsy, I had no side effects from it.  I had no real pain, but I was diligent for the first few days about taking the pain meds on schedule.  I don't believe in letting pain getting a head start.

I wondered whether I would "feel" the missing stomach, but really you have no awareness that it's gone.  Now, your new tummy is sore and swollen, making it hard to drink for awhile, but it doesn't really hurt.  Yes, you've been cut into, even though you just have little cuts on your tummy.  There are sutures holding you together under the skin.  The side where they pull your stomach out is usually the sorest, and there are occassional jabs of pain, but I had more overall soreness than pain.
(deactivated member)
on 5/8/11 2:29 am
I can't tolerate opiates- with that said, I was sore/hurt mild/moderately for about 2 days. Went home on the equivalent of strong NSAIDS or extra strength Tylenol. It's not bad at all. I stopped the meds after a couple days. Feels like a pulled muscle to me- fine when not moving, sore when you try to move.
pinkypromise93
on 5/8/11 3:19 am
Heck yea, it does hurt, lol  I had mine on Tuesday and when I came out I must say I had that feeling everyone talks about " What the heck have I done." That was before they gave me the morphine  That was right at the very beginning though. Short while later I was up and walking and that helped tremendously. You would think walking wouldn't help but it does. It helps to relieves the gas that causes alot of pain. The one incision where they remove the stomach is the most tender. Everyone's advice to me was sip sip sip walk and ask for the pain med's. I used their advice and survived  You will do fine!! Every day I am feeling better

P.S. I didn't have a drain, but I did have a cathetar

Hotchocolate143
on 5/8/11 3:55 am
 Hi Pinkypromise,
Was the cathetar painful while it was in and being removed?  I am required to have one as well and I'm really scared.

D...... *HW 241 - SW 238 - CW 222.5 - GW 127

pinkypromise93
on 5/8/11 1:33 pm
They placed it while I was asleep for surgery so that didn't bother me. It didn't bother me at all while I walked etc. When the nurse removed it she did it quickly so I just felt a slight discomfort but it was only a split second. The first time I urinated afterward I did have a tad bit of blood but it was just that once so we assumed it was due to the cathetar. I have been fine since. There's nothing to it really. First time I ever had one. Good Luck! You will be fine im sure

walmartian
on 5/8/11 8:42 am
Just tell them you want other drugs. I didn't get either of those 2, and I didn't even need the pain pills they sent home with me.
The muscle only has several 1/2 to 1 inch cuts done, not enough to cause horrendous pain. The pain you do have will be mostly from the gas they use , you have to walk a lot to get it out. My back also hurt pretty bad the first day from laying on it asleep for most of the day. By the end of the second day I only had discomfort, no real pain.
I didn't have a catheter either, but I've has one before, it's not fun getting it put in but not the end of the world getting it out is easier.

Most Active