Boyfriend Worries

Jhb617
on 5/7/11 1:06 am - Livonia, MI
My boyfriend, soon to be fiance', has been amazingly supportive, but he has asked me several times if I will still love him after I lose weight.  He is a big guy (6'2 320 lbs).  I of course reassure him and tell him that I will love him know matter what size I am.  Have any of you experienced this in your relationships?
GeeGee13
on 5/7/11 1:19 am
I guess its normal to feel insecure... part of loving your man is needing him.. To them if you might not need them the way you always did, security bells ring...

I just think all men want to feel needed and independence or confidence on our side just makes them less "important" in our lives... hence, "disposable" if he's not confident you love him enough to want him anyway after you're hotter and more confident

Nicki88
on 5/7/11 1:20 am
I think my dh worries about that b/c in the past he has tried to sabotage me on diets but I have assured him that he has loved me skinny and fat and I love him even more for that.  I think it is common to have men fear this but all you can do is reassure him.  Hopefully that is enough!
Surgery Date: 4/27/11 Dr. Aceves
chadhat
on 5/7/11 1:34 am, edited 5/7/11 1:34 am - WA
From one guy's perspective - it is a rational fear. Would the person who is now skinny still love a person who is overweight...would they now find other people more attractive ? Would it - I have no clue ? I do know that he probably needs reassuring and perhaps discussion around this - constantly.

For me my wife is one of those that rarely gains and has been within 10-15 lbs of her weight for 20+ years. Hence I was the one who gained....did she love me less when I weighed more - no but think she is very glad I have lost a lot (and as my son said the other day "daddy looks normal now").

Hence sorry no magic bullet here - just a confirmation that this is rational thought.
TC
Kirkland WA
Jhb617
on 5/8/11 10:15 am - Livonia, MI
Thank you.  From a guys perspective, you're right.  It makes sense.  I owe it to him to tell him as often as he needs it that I love him, need him and want him daily if I have too for the rest of our lives.  Thanks so much!
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 212 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 295 views