How many calories should I be consuming??

Chino67
on 5/10/11 3:12 am - Canada
Hi there Guys, I just have a question, actually a coule....
I was sleeved on April 15th 2011 by Dr. Almanza in tijuana. I did self pay from canada. I do not have the medical support here and so I am a bit unclear on some things. I do tons of reading up but there is so clear cut info on calories that I can find.

1) How many calories should I be consuming right now in a day? I know about the protein, water, fat, and carbs, but not the calories.....

2) I have been suffering with sever heartburn that I just can not kick, does anyone have any suggestions that work well for them?

3) Can drinking liquids to fast streach your new tummy? How easy is it to streach your new tummy?

thanks for your guys help not sure what I would do without the OH gang!

Cheers
Heidi

First 30 days 31lbs
teetee126
on 5/10/11 3:46 am
Im self pay also and these are great questions.  Can't wait to see the answers!

FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 5/10/11 3:53 am, edited 5/10/11 3:57 am - New Orleans
1. This is an issue of debate.  600-800 calories is what I aim for, and it works well for me.

2. Are you taking an acid reducer or PPI to control your heartburn?  I take a generic prilosec everyday and it keeps things under control.  I can tell a big difference when I don't take it.

3. Drinking will not stretch your sleeve.  You'll throw up or become sick before that point.  But go easy on yourself--you're still early out.  If it feels uncomfortable, stop.

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

anninva
on 5/10/11 4:22 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Congrats on getting the surgery!!!  i can see how it would be hard to get follow-up in Canada!

Here's my two cents worth -- different docs, different rules.

also, you're a mere 3 wks out, so take it easy, get liquids and protein in and maybe go on dr. cirangle's website to find out how he does it.

my NUT says 60 g of protein, don't worry about carbs, and 1200 cals or thereabouts.  so, that's the heresy.  i'm losing about 2 lbs a week and have lost 48 since 1/10, which i think is great.

let's see what else people have to say (they'll probably think i'm nuts!)

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

msshellwillis
on 5/10/11 4:33 am
My doc says 64 oz water, 60 - 80g protein, and 1200 calories or so. I have not, cannot and don't plan to eat that many calories in a day. I have been getting pretty close to my water intake, I have been meeting my protein goal. I even told my surgeon I have no clue how to eat 1200 calories. I stay between 600-800 calories a day.
I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me!

HW (1/1/2011): 382. SW (4/15/2011): 357. CW (03/29/2012): 275.
                                                Sleeved on 4-15-11                

jakebsmommy
on 5/10/11 12:30 pm - Waldorf, MD
VSG on 04/29/13
mine said the same thing I can't get 1200 calories in either.  I get about 500-600 calories in!
johnbertak
on 5/10/11 4:50 am - MD
I have averaged 1100-1300 calories per day every day since getting on solid foods.  I have lost
127 lbs. in less than 6 mos.  To me, it's the "net" calories that matter - I exercise enough to burn 500 calories every single day.  So my "net" is in that 600-800 range.  Also, I started at 424 lbs and I'm 6'1"  If you're a different size, stands to reason your calorie input would be different, right?  My "trick" is simple - consistency of input, accountability by journaling every last bite I eat, and daily exercise, every single day.  Works for this geezer at 65. 
My heartburn was bad, not horrible, and went away after I got on to solids.
You can't stretch the sleevie exactly, but you sure can make him uncomfortable as hell - and he will put you through a couple of hours of agony if you overdo it, so be careful.
Pop-Pop

Chino67
on 5/10/11 6:32 am - Canada
Thanks so much to everyone for heping me out with my questions! I just have one more......

What happens if I do not consume enough calories a day? Other then being tired is there negitive effectives?

First 30 days 31lbs
johnbertak
on 5/10/11 7:03 am - MD
Well, I might not be saying this the right way, but from what I've learned, the last thing you should do is try to starve the body into losing weight.  Early on, if I didn't eat enough, I got headaches and a bit shaky; and I was lethargic as hell.
All your metabolism learns from starving, is to slow way down to prevent as much weight loss as it can.  That's why we get a nutrition "plan" along w/WLS, to put good stuff in - but not too much of it - so the body can use it as fuel.  That's also why the vitamins and minerals are so important - we can't get enough from the food we're eating, so we need the extras to keep the body in balance.  Same with the hydration.  
The best advice I received, and the reason I opted for the VSG in the first place, was to eat a well-balanced, nutritious, diet that focused on protein first and foremost.  Gotta tell ya, it's working well for me - not only have I lost 127 lbs. in less than 6 mos., I've got tremendous energy now, sleep great, and I'm rid of all co-morbidities (diabetes, high BP, sleep apnea).  Good luck!
Pop-Pop

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 208 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 292 views