The Lady at Robeks who also had VSG

Jamae623
on 5/31/11 3:08 am - Washington, DC
Hi Everyone!!!! **hugs**

Ok... So I was at robeks and I got a smoothie (pinakoolada) with 2 shots of protein and this lady says that's alot of protien, so I had no problem telling her why because it was only her and I in there other than the employees.  She said so did I, I'm from Canada visting some friends. 

So we're sharing our stories blah blah and then I tell her the vitamins I'm taking.. she gave me the O_o... So I was like what's wrong, she says I heard that alot of people in the states take vitamins who are sleeved, why is that?  I said because my doctor said so. She said she make take a gummie here and there but not all the time.  So I googled this when I got home lolol... And not all sleevers take vitamins, I even read a UK site where they said the reason why we have to take vitamins is because we don't eat right... I'm thinking to myself... YOU WERE IN THE SAME BOAT AS ME WITH NOT EATING RIGHT! 

But all the reading I did, I still don't understand why some doctors don't suggest vitamins "or" why are we (the US) the only ones that take vitamins the way we do?

Stay Peace.. B eZ All..
~T

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/11 3:15 am
That's a great question and I have no idea! You'd think it'd be prudent considering how little we now can eat, that even if we chose very well- we'd still have a limited amount of nutrients coming in.. but then again, I think the US is a very pill-centric society.. we have pills for everything that ails you, and we create names for disorders to market more!

Jamae623
on 5/31/11 3:34 am - Washington, DC
 LOLOLOL!!!! Pill-centric society.. YES! We are... this will fix your headache but the side affect will your joints aching and for that take this and this will fix your joints and will make your heart flutter and we have a pill for that too! lolol.. 

Heidi V.
on 5/31/11 3:19 am - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14
I'm from Canada....Quebec that is lol, and I take vitamins. My pcp suggested I did to be on the safe side.

Revision from sleeve to RNY is set for January 13, 2014.

Jamae623
on 5/31/11 3:32 am - Washington, DC
 Thank you mahmahgoose! lolol..  I'm like I know that some doctors in other places besides the US suggest vitamins, it just didn't make since to me. But then like I said. I am somewhat of a google queen and there where some forums, sites, and links that where like I don't have to take anything.. and I thinking is Bariactric advantage taking my money for nothing? lolol.. 

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/11 5:25 am
In the beginning we take the vitamins to keep our vitamin count up due to our low food intake.  You have bloodwork done and if your counts are normal then the vitamins are doing their work.  If your counts are high then you can lessen or stop.  Low you have to take more.  In many countries things like vitamins are paid for by the government pharmacy so not beingissued vitaimns would save them money wouldn't it?
aintstoppin
on 5/31/11 10:36 am - NH
 I follow my doctor's and NUT's advice.  I trust them and I would go crazy second guessing all the differing opinions.  Also, I let my labs be the validation marker.
Good luck!  

KathyA999
on 5/31/11 12:34 pm
What Stephanie said is right, we don't eat enough food to get our vitamin/mineral needs met that way.  Hell, most normies don't eat the way they need to, to get all their vites/supps from food, unless they're "eating the rainbow" - lots of fruits & veggies.  With our protein-forward menu, we're in even worse shape without vites and minerals.  I do think surgeons aren't properly caring for their patients if they don't advise supplementing.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views