dazed and confused

atersr
on 6/1/11 3:35 am - chicago , IL
I have been in the program with my doc since March 2.  I have been very clear all along that the sleeve was the only operation I was willing to get.  After psych eval and nutritionist approved and following all instructions, I lost 22lbs, I had my surgeons consultation and he let me talk and he agreed with all I said as far as sleeve being best for me. Then after about 20 minutes of talking he says "you know in about the last month your insurance (medicare) has not been approving the sleeve, what would be your second choice?"  It caught me off guard and I said lapband and then he went on to explain the lapband and how his lapband patients have done much better than the average because of his experience.  I have since looked into it and he is very experienced, but I am sold on the sleeve. I am just ranting here, but I guess my question is what do I do, I guess the lapband is better than nothing, the doc told me they would call by the end of june to let me konw what medicare would approve. In the mean time since I saw the doc I have been eating nothing but bad foods, it  was like I feel a huge letdown. BTW I moved to this state from about 350 miles away primarily because of this program. Thanks for listening everydody. I am 51 yrs old and weigh a little over 350 with a BMi of 52 and this weight is not only limiting my energy greatly it is killing me.
cweintra
on 6/1/11 3:50 am - West Bloomfield, MI
I think that if the sleeve is what you want - speak to your insurance company - see if they are approving it and if this is just a fluke with this information. If you are getting something as major as surgery it should be what you want and are most comfortable with and from what I can tell that is the sleeve procedure...
Carly Rose

(deactivated member)
on 6/1/11 3:58 am
There is no way I would ever tell you to agree to a lap-band with your BMI.  I think you should call the office and tell the surgeon that it is the VSG or nothing.  I have heard of this before and it smacks of bait and switch to me.  I would not let him put a band in me for anything.  Become proactive in your care, ask them if they have submitted for the VSG for you, I have even heard of doctors submitting for the band after this same "talk".  Check what they submitted for and then go from there.  If you are turned down, appeal and fight for what you want.  If all else fails and you can't self pay in the states, look at Mexico.  There are a few very reputable doctors there that do a great, tight sleeve at around $8,000 to $10,000.  I would do that way before I would get the band.  Just read the stats on the band and you will run away.
Herbie55
on 6/1/11 5:04 am - MI
I agree completely but have also seen the sleeve offered as low as 4700 in Mexico. It is flashing above as I type.

ckitchens
on 6/1/11 4:02 am - Houston, TX
I agree. You need to call medicare and ask if they cover the sleeve if they do then u call ur doctor immediately and tell them that is what u want. I dealt with this thru my insurance and doc they will not approve one and not approve another if hey cover both this may be your doctor taking advantage. if they sub mitt the band then u will have to go thru another wait to change the surgery to sleeve so u need to get on the ball and call medicare.
Good luck

cindibarre
on 6/1/11 5:06 am - Danforth, ME
I was worried that this would happen to me when I meet with my surgeon the first time, so I sent an email to the patient coordinator expressing my concern.  From that I learned how many VSG's my surgeon has done and how many have been done in the practice.  I suggest sticking to your guns and staying with the VSG.  I would be checking with Medicare to verify that they will pay for VSG and what their appeal process is just in care.  Take a deep breath and hang in there!

Know how you feel about the eating too.  I had a setback yesterday and this morning.  Slowly getting back on the eating right wagon.  I have at least two more appointments before I'll even know if I can get a VSG.  So hang in there and keep breating we'll both get there!

Cindi

HW - 351 SW 0 342  SurgW - 298!  1st. Seminar July 2010 Surgery  August 1, 2011  
Hislady
on 6/1/11 7:57 am - Vancouver, WA
Trust me the band is NOT better than nothing! You would be far better off to go RNY than the band. There are more and more people having serious problems with the band and personally I think it should be taken off the market. You spend months trying to get decent restriction  and IF you get some restriction you still have the issue of getting stuck and sliming and PBing which are when you are either spitting out phlegm or your food "returns" on you. The band is a nightmare and there is even less chance that you will actually lose weight. In 3 yrs I've lost a whole 20 lbs. and yes I followed directions perfectly. Either keep pushing for the sleeve or go RNY, the band just isnt worth the hassles it brings.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views