Why can't I eat and drink at the same time?

teetee126
on 5/31/11 12:03 pm
what will happen if i drink like 5 or 10 minutes after I eat?

brighterDayz
on 5/31/11 12:16 pm
This was the biggest adjustment for me, but I know it's key to our success.  You want your proteins to stay in your stomach as long as possible, keeping you satisfied.  If you drink with your meal, you are aiding in digestion of the food in your stomach, thereby helping it move along faster, making you feel empty sooner and eat more than you would have if you would have waited.    This is a setup for stalls and regain.

Protein first and no liquids 30 mins before or after a meal. It's a formula that we have to respect to be successful.
HW/Starting: 327  SW: 302 (lost 25 lbs pre-op), GW: 158

teetee126
on 5/31/11 12:21 pm
*sigh* okay.... but It's so hard!  I keep it up! geesh

Jasonm11
on 5/31/11 1:06 pm
For me, I once forgot that I was eating and drank the water that the waitress brought even though I told her I didn't need any, and within seconds was running for the nearest trash can to get all the food right back up...now I keep a glass far away from me. It just seems there isn't room for both in my stomach.
Valerie K.
on 5/31/11 1:26 pm, edited 5/31/11 1:27 pm - Dearborn, MI
 please watch this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR0VM3mnsgM&NR=1 when you drink while you eat the liquid washes the food out of your stomach to fast. leaving you hungry faster. was told to wait 30 minutes to give your stomach time to digest the food. 
My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/11 1:45 pm
I was going to post that You Tube video too!  Its one of the best explainations I have seen so far.  I have esophageal spasms and am used to guzzeling large amounts of liquid with my meals.  I have learned to force liquids the hour before my cutoff prior to eating and it seems to get me thru the mealtime and the hour after.  It did take some getting used to and experimenting with how much to drink prior so I wouldn't get thirsty during the downtime.
Paul11011
on 5/31/11 2:36 pm
Great video Val, thanks for posting.
VSG 1-10-2011 Dr. Randal Baker.   www.grandhealthpartners.com

yankeeblue08
on 5/31/11 6:56 pm - Roseville, MI
the best thing you can do is go ahead and try it. you will see what happens. I too, thought, well, Im going to drink with eating, I always have...well, the sleeve wins again! my sleeve said.."No, no, no!" there is only so much room in our tiny tummys. If you put food in there, and then try to put liquids also, you will cause overload and something has to give..usually it comes back up because there just isn't room for the liquids. Don't push your sleeve, it will always win. Eat slowly, chew well, and always wait to drink at least 30 mins so that your body can handle the liquids while trying to digest the solids.
Jimbo or one of the guys on here, explained it very well..something about a valve that opens wide to allow the food through, and only opens narrowly to allow the liquids to pass...can't do both at the same time or you get a mess.
Another thing we do not have much room for when we eat, is air..so eat slowly. We need to burp or it's going to come back up also. Dr. Alverez in Mexico that wrote the book about the Sleeve, says our bodies are now like newborn babies on formula..we have to be burped or we will projectile vomit! LOL I thought that was funny, but it is true, burping is very important with the sleeve. you'll do alot of it.
We learn to eat a new way, but it pays off in the end.

"Don't tell God how big your mountain is.....tell your mountain how big your God is!"

24 lbs lost pre-op.     My name is Cheryl, and I'm a Sleever!     
100 lbs lost by five months.    
Officially half way to my goal at six months! yay!
cyd000
on 5/31/11 9:40 pm - Vancouver, WA
I have found it difficult to not drink as well.  My solution is to take ONE SIP of water after I am done with my meal.  That satisfies my immediate craving for liquid and I havent noticed any ill effects from it.

HW: 267, 5'3", 37 years old
Pre-op - 13lbs lost
Month 1 - 17lbs lost
Month 2 - 11lbs lost
Month 3 - 3lbs lost
Month 4 - 8lbs lost
Month 5 - 4lbs lost
Month 6 - 5lbs lost
Month 7 - 4lbs lost
Kelleybell122
on 5/31/11 11:42 pm - Powell, OH
As a woman with a rebel heart, I planned to ignore that rule after surgery, but my sleeve disagreed. If I drink while eating, even a small few sips, I get the most uncomfortable pressure in my chest.

I'm a good girl now.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 183 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 478 views