Gained 7 pounds in 7 days!

Miss..Jamie
on 6/7/11 1:13 am
Hello OH Family!

I'm little over 5 months out and over the past week, I have gained 7 pounds since last Monday.

My water intake is good and I have not eaten more than usual. There are only two things that I did different this week.

1) I bumped up my work-out to doing 60 minute Zumba classes everynight at the gym rather than everyother night, (last Wednesday I did 2 classes back to back - never again by the way). By Saturday I was 5 pounds more.

2) Did commit 1 sin, had a couple of mixed drinks on Saturday night (I was hopeful that the 3 hours of dancing would have burned some calories off - lol)! By Monday 2 more pounds have added.

Does anybody have any suggestions why 7 pounds just magically appeared? Besides the extra calories from drinks, surely didn't help!

My co-worker suggested due to the increase in cardio and not eating enough calories - may have put my body in starvation mode. Any thoughts? Makes no sense to me though!

Thanks for your help if you reply!

Jamie
Primyzia
on 6/7/11 1:18 am
VSG on 08/09/11 with
your coworker is right and plus u been working out more so thats muscle weight  witch thats always good
DrHollywood
on 6/7/11 1:22 am - Harbor City, CA
how many calories do you eat?

✿ L♦O♦V♦E ✿ & ✿ P♦E♦A♦C♦E ✿ღ ✿ & F♦R♦I♦E♦N♦D♦S ✿ ღ
                         "Keeping The Faith!"   "Slim by Summer!"
                                    HW: 250 - SW: 241  - CW: 154.7GW: 140  

1 month: 22 pounds (2162 months: 12.2 pounds (203.8)  3 months: 10.6  (193.2)
 4 months: 9.7  lbs  (183.5)  5 Months:   6  pounds  (177.5 ) 
6 Months: 12 lbs ( 165.5)
 7 Months 7.1 lbs (158.4) 8 Months +1.6 pounds(159.8) 9 Months 2.7 pounds (157.1)
10 Months 8.1 lbs (149) 11 months +2 pounds ( 151) 1 YEAR!!!  2.6 pounds (148.4)

Hit "One-derland April 9th, 2011   (199.7)

"Half-Way Goal" April 25th, 2011 (194.8)

"Happyland 80`s" May 14, 2011  (189.6)

"Groovyland 70`s"  June 20th 2011  (179.9)

" HippyDippyland 60's"  July 16th  (169.8)

" CQQL-land 50`s"  August 25th ( 159.8)

"Normal BMI"   24.8  October 21st, 2011 (154.5) I am 5`6

"AWESOME-land 40's" Dec 1st 2011  (149)

"Century Club 100 Pounds"  Dec 1st 2011  (149)

' ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!"

Two Year Surgiversary!!!"

Miss..Jamie
on 6/7/11 1:30 am

Anywhere from 600-800!

Been really good about drinking more than 64 ounces of water - so darn hot in Texas you have too! Lol!

emelar
on 6/7/11 1:24 am - TX
You work out more, your body retains more water to repair the muscle damage.  Alcohol dehydrates you, and then your body holds on to more fluid to rehydrate.  Water retention is almost always the culprit for sudden extra pounds.

Working out for a week isn't gonna make enough of a difference is your muscle density to account for the sudden increase in weight.
sublimate
on 6/7/11 8:08 am - San Jose, CA
On June 7, 2011 at 8:24 AM Pacific Time, emelar wrote:
You work out more, your body retains more water to repair the muscle damage.  Alcohol dehydrates you, and then your body holds on to more fluid to rehydrate.  Water retention is almost always the culprit for sudden extra pounds.

Working out for a week isn't gonna make enough of a difference is your muscle density to account for the sudden increase in weight.

This is correct.  It's water weight.  Try drinking lots of water with a little lemon juice added to balance things out, and give it a few days.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

Lori B.
on 6/7/11 1:47 am
When you work out hard your muscles tear. Your body will pull in water to repair them. You'll drop that off in no time.

The drinking is def empty calories however I know most everyone has a drink once in a while. I wish I could but my fibromyaglia will give me a 3 day hangover so it's not worth it.

I say keep working out..you're gonna build muscle that will help burn fat down the road when you are trying to maintain your loss.

~Lori
~Lori

HW 286.5   GW 155   CW 153
(deactivated member)
on 6/7/11 1:57 am, edited 6/7/11 1:57 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

Ditto on it not being muscle, but that in time you will gain muscle (although cardio is not a good muscle building activity, if that is what you are looking to do), but it will not be pounds in a small amount of time.

Another bummer thing folks sometimes realize is that alcohol is not just empty calories, it changes the way to metabolize things, it throws gunk in your gears so to speak, so folks, sometimes, end up stalling for much longer periods of time when they drink alcoholic calories than if they just ate other calories. 

Its like everything with this journey though, you have to see how your body reacts to things and the one GREAT thing about experiencing this, is you can decide if its worth it next time!  Might be!  Or might not be. 

LadyVelvet
on 6/7/11 2:31 am - Rosharon, TX
It takes what - 3,500 extra calories to gain a pound so it has to be water.  Starvation mode will cause your body to hold on to everything.  Just be patient it will drop off just as quickly.  Good workout by the way.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views