Question ?

mocoso65
on 6/10/11 11:59 pm
When can we (vsg) have starches if ever?

Ms. Poker Face
on 6/11/11 12:21 am
 Every body is different and every surgeon's post-op plan seems different.  Mine says that I can go back to eating those things after 6 weeks post op.  However, from reading on here, that could really slow my weight loss down.  So I plan to see what works best for me by experimenting.  What does your surgeon say?

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

mocoso65
on 6/11/11 2:07 am
After 4 weeks I could slowly go back to what I wanted but not over fill my sleeve.

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/11 12:23 am
I think that depends on your drs orders.  I was allowed starches almost immediately when I started the pureed diet.  I was allowed potato soup, a teaspoon of mashed, mashed sweet potatoes etc.  I avoid them mostly because starches are carbs and carbs make you crave carbs then you end up eating your carbs and not your protien.  If I do eat starches it is in the form of a half slice of whole wheat, 45 calorie bread or a tablespoon of mashed potatos made without butter, or 1-2 baked french fries-no added oil.  You have to relearn to eat like skinny people have always eaten, not like we used to eat and thats a very hard lesson to relearn.  I make sure to get all my protein in first then if there is room I can have the tiny bit of starch.
viola_120
on 6/11/11 12:23 am - FL
If you are speaking of carbs---potatoes, rice,  pasta, breads etc. . . I would say once you are on maintenance.  However, I don't see why you can't have a little occasionally as long as you are following protein first, veggies second, and starches last at every meal rule.  I've eaten mash potatoes a couple of times since surgery.  No more than a tablespoon because I was too full to eat more. 

HW-250 SW 241.8 GW 139            
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 309 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 356 views