Having surgery on Tuesday 6.28

urcute
on 6/25/11 2:33 pm - OH
Is it normal to feel so nervous prior to having sleeve surgery?  I know I made the right choice to have the surgery,,but I'm so scared about going under the anesthesia.

I've been on meds for an arrhythmia since 1997- I'm scared that my heart will decide to act funny during the surgery.

Mixed emotions :(

IrishColleen
on 6/25/11 2:52 pm - Owosso, MI
 First congrats on your decision.  I'm sure you've done your research.  Remember that your docs checked you out and decided that you are fit for surgery.  Believe me, I've worked for a physician for 24 years, if they thought there was ANY chance other than normal risk, you would not be allowed to proceed.  Have you ever had problems with anesthesia before?

I'm having surgery Tuesday too!  Yes.  I'm nervous. I think that's kinda normal though.  I had knee surgery in April and I was nervous for that too.  This will make surgery number EIGHT for me all with no problems with anesthesia.  I remember everything right up until they knock me out completely after they can't get me to shut up in the surgery room. (I like asking lots of questions about the equipment, the temperature, stupid stuff like that, just to let them know that I'm aware of what's going on!!  

And just a hint, when you get there, tell them how nervous you are and they will give you happy drugs!  If they don't work well enough, ask for more.

Best of all do what I do.  Turn it all over to God and let Him take care of you!  Works for me!

Colleen

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity and fear but a spirit of power and love and self discipline."  2 Tim. 1:7     So with HIS power, love and self-discipline - I WILL DO THIS!
HW:250 SW: 232 CW: 164  GW: 150 
urcute
on 6/25/11 3:34 pm - OH
Thanks Colleen.. God is my Pilot... That is where I do find peace.
Good Luck with your surgery- I'll include you in my prayers :)
 8 surgeries?? are you trying to meet a single anesthesiologist ?
ha  ha

IrishColleen
on 6/26/11 2:47 pm - Owosso, MI
 Nah, there too boring.  They put me to sleep!  haha

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity and fear but a spirit of power and love and self discipline."  2 Tim. 1:7     So with HIS power, love and self-discipline - I WILL DO THIS!
HW:250 SW: 232 CW: 164  GW: 150 
roundater
on 6/25/11 8:41 pm - Lincoln, NE
Had my surgery on 6/10 with no problem. Only thing I remember is wheeling me in then waking up in the recovery room. As for the anesthetic it might give you a gassy feeling for a day or two but it is not bad (only a 3 on the pain scale of 10 and it was gone by the 2nd day). Will be thinking about you. Good luck.
Rich Sonderegger

roseselene
on 6/25/11 10:15 pm
Good luck with your surgery! Mine is Tuesday also! I am very excited about finally getting to this point, but also extremely nervous as well.  I think its totally normal to have nerves before a major procedure. I'm sure we'll all do well!
Amy
CW: 255 SW: 234 

Most Active