VSG WEIGHT LOSS

cthr
on 6/30/11 10:40 pm
 Has everyone found the 50% weight loss generalization to be true? If so 50% of what ? Starting weight? Extra weight?   Can VSG'ers have NSAIDS?   Thanks
MomtoAndy
on 6/30/11 11:06 pm - Columbia, SC
I have no idea what it would be 50% of.  Many many sleevers lose 100% of their excess weight.  It depends on compliance with the eating guidelines and patience.

VSG'ers can have NSAIDS.

Keep reading posts and you will learn so much!  The folks on this site are generous with their time and unfailingly kind.

theshrinkingmimi
on 6/30/11 11:13 pm
My doctor told me to never take NSAIDS on empty stomach. He said that it could cause ulcers whether you have surgery or not. He also warned against taking it regularly. So, if I wanted ibuprofen for a 1-2 days per month, I could take it after eating. I'm waiting a litlte longer to try it.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Dawnie 88
on 6/30/11 11:55 pm
I have lost over 50% of my excess weight already

califsleevin
on 7/1/11 12:31 am - CA
The typical measure of success is the amount of excess weight that is lost, which is usually defined as whatever weight you have above a "normal" BMI of 24 or so. Overall, the DS has the best record in the 85-90% avg loss while the bands tend lo lose on the order of 50% on avg, with the RNY and VSG falliing in between in the 65-75% range. These are all averages, with some variation between studies and practices, and means, of course, that some will lose 100% "excess weight", or more, with any of these procedures while others will lose less than the average. The trick is to find the best procedure for each individual's character/personality, and that seems to mostly be up to us.

NSAIDS are fine for VSGers the same as for "normal" people. The RNY is the main procedure that contraindicates the use of NSAIDS due to the structure of its stomach pouch and interface with the small intestine.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

George B.
on 7/1/11 1:00 am - Miami, FL
I lost 100% of my excess weight with the VSG and have kept it off for a year with no problem.

100% of my excess weight is the amount I needed to lose to go from a Mobridly Obese BMI of 44 to a Normal BMI of 25.

Yes, VSG'ers can have NSAIDS. There are no malabsorption issues with the VSG.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 57 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 57 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 234 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 307 views