Finally drank a protein drink in one sitting! (5-day update)

Jean B.
on 7/24/11 11:03 am - Los Angeles, CA
I've finally managed to meet my first post-op mini-goal: drink an entire pre-made protein drink in one sitting ... too bad the sitting happened to be 2.5 hours! 

I'm still finding it very difficult to drink anything at all (water, G2, protein, thin soup, etc.) without having major gas bubbles, but from everything I've read here, that'll go away eventually. (Right?! Right. God I hope that's right.) I haven't been able to get in my full water or protein yet (64 oz/60 g), but I'm trying damn hard. I'm about 2/3 on the water and 1/2 on the protein and trying my best to increase every day. Right now it seems the G2 goes down better than plain water, go figure.

I have had very minimal pain since I was sprung from the hosptial (2 nights there, great docs, awful nurses), and have only taken my crushed-up percocet (which tastes like POISON) about 3 times -- twice to disippate the pain in my achy abdomen so I could sleep and then once again today after my shower, which seriously wore me out (wtf).

I am already bored with the protein drinks and I haven't even tried all the flavors I bought ... I think it's because I'm such a savory person and not used to consuming so much sweetness all the time. When can a lady get herself some damn cheese?!

I have been trying not to weigh myself until Tuesday (1 week) but couldn't help sneaking on my new scale this morning. I'm not sure how accurate the reading is because I bought a 400 lb scale but weighed 409 on my surgery date (wishful thinking!) ... but it was cheaper and it's not like I was gonna stay in those dreaded 4's for more than a few days. So if the reading is correct, I think I've already lost about 15 pounds since TUESDAY...which is awesome. I'm going to hold off on weighing myself again so it's more exciting when I do that one-week weigh-in.

So, my questions for you: any savory food suggestions for a gal who's still on full liquids? And has anyone else had constant gas bubbling up no matter what you drink?

By the by -- reading through pages and pages of archives has been keeping me busy and informed these past few days. I can't get over what a fantastically supportive group of people you all are. Thank you in advance for all your help!
roseselene
on 7/24/11 11:18 am
Congratulations on surgery and already losing that weight!! That's fabulous.
I totally struggle with all the sweet stuff.  I absolutely cannot stand it!
Someone on here recommended "better than bullion"  I found it at target.  It was wonderful!!  I have to admit its high in sodium, so I guess you can't have a ton, but it was definitely a great change from all the sweet stuff.  I got the beef flavor and I love it!
Good luck!
Amy
CW: 255 SW: 234 

koshermama
on 7/24/11 11:25 am
Omgosh - you were at Lenox Hill??? Those nurses are NASTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I recognized your DR's name - 2 years ago I had some endometriosis removed laparascopically by a different surgeon there, and they had to call in a general surgeon (who turned out to be Dr. Yatco) because they accidentally cut open my bladder... 1-2 hr surgery turned into 7 hours...

Then I was on the floor with recovering WLS patients, and I was in a medicated fog but awake enough to hear a nurse stomping down the hall yelling about "these credit-card patients!!" I yelled - "I'm not a credit-card patient - I have INSURANCE!!"

LOL...

I agree, Dr. Yatco seemed very nice, but I vowed never to set foot in that hospital again...
My phone didn't work - they didn't care.
I asked to speak to the rabbi on call when I found out they were keeping me overnight - the nurse SNORTED and snarled, "She wants to see a rabbi!" and walked out!!
They came to ask my roomate what meds she wanted (not me), and I was begging for something different. They wanted to give me narcotics. I said, Even just some Tylenol or Motrin... something for the PAIN... not something to drug me into a whiny pain-filled stupor!
"oh, well, I'd have to go to the pharmacy for that."

...WOULD YOU PLEASE???????????????????????????

Ooooh, I've got some unresolved anger from all that, LOL...

HW 310, SW 307, CW 259, LW 7.5, Goal 150

Shalom aleichem! Join us...  Keeping Kosher After WLS    
(deactivated member)
on 7/24/11 11:26 am
That very well could be right that you are dwon 15 pounds since Tesday because I am down 24 pounds since the 15th the day that I came home from the hospital. I had my surgery on the 13th. SO I am 11 days post op. ANd one reason why we are loosing so fast is because we have much more to losse vs someone that is around 250 pounds and has about 100 to loose... I hope that this helps you a bit... But keep rocking that sleeve....
Elaine2
on 7/24/11 11:35 am - Atlanta, GA
I think I'd go to the soup isle at the store and get different types of soups and broths. Then just strain them.  Could you add garlic, onion or celery powder?  (Not too much salt!!) And I'd go easy on the spices to test out how they feel.

I'm not a sweet person either but I still start each day with a relatively sweet protein shake. I just change up the flavors. Here's some recipes.
http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-fa vorite-protein-shake-recipes.html

Gas?? Don't know other than to say you're probably getting air as you drink...take really small sips.

Sounds like you're doing great. Hang in there. This is the most difficult time but will pass soon.

Jean B.
on 7/24/11 1:22 pm - Los Angeles, CA
Excellent suggestion, I think I'll do just that. I tried some strained cream of chicken soup with a little protein powder and extra water and it was kinda nasty, but I think I might have luck with a split pea tomorrow. I just need non-sweet things!

Thanks everyone for the tips!
Faye56
on 7/25/11 8:16 am
VSG on 07/19/11 with
I had surgery on the 19th also and have lost 7 lbs, so you are doing great!! I started 2 days ago straining canned soup. It taste so good compared to the broth. I am getting in about have of my protien as well. I hope all goes well for you. Thanks for sharing.

"Encourage instead of criticize.  Love instead of hate.  Hope instead of doubt. Give instead of take.  Trust instead of worry.  We open our hearts to others so that they will be prompted to open their hearts to God"  Lucy Swindoll

Most Active