What Are Your New Habits?

ahleeeshah
on 8/17/11 1:39 am, edited 8/17/11 4:03 am
What do you guys do to keep your mind off of food and to keep yourselves entertained? I started painting my nails around the same time I started my presurgery diet in an attempt to make myself stop biting my nails. Since surgery that has blown into a full-scale habit. I spend too much money on it (though never more than I actually have. I'm not gonna go into debt over nail polish!), and way too much time on it. But it takes my mind off of food for a few hours and keeps me busy and occupied. I did a special manicure last night since I'm headed off to Texas to see my nephew this weekend and wanted something a four-year-old boy would enjoy. Here's a pic:

So tell me! What do you do to pass the time and keep your mind off of food?

(Edited to change word choice about addiction)

Eileen36
on 8/17/11 1:54 am - PA
Exercise!!!!! Shopping is a close second. I'm working on keeping that under control.

Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 6/8/12!! - LBL, BL/BA, Arm Lift & Medial Thigh Lift             
jengo1971
on 8/17/11 2:05 am

Extra mint chocolate chip sugar free gum.  Evenings are soooo hard for me!  Each night I go through at least 5 pieces.  I'm hungry often so this has saved me!

Jennifer

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
faylavi
on 8/17/11 3:12 am - Laurel, MD
I just tried that gum...not sure how to feel about it just yet.  I have a whole pack to go!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

46yrs old  5'4'' HW 306  AW  288  SW 276 CW 192  205                                                  Next goal <199     

Onedaysoon
on 8/17/11 2:54 am - PA
I'm too early out to say, but Im hoping it will become exercise. I just joined the YMCA and I'm planning on going every M,W and F while my son is in preschool. Aqua Zumba to be exact! How fun does that sound?! I could EASILY become addicted to clothes shopping, but I simply don't have the expendable income for that. I do, however, let myself go I to the Goodwill and shop once per week while I'm waiting for my daughter to get out of her dance class.
~Carly~
~

USAF Wife
on 8/17/11 2:56 am
I have a tough time using the word addiction. And, this is only because I have battled true addiction in my past. None of my behaviors, or habits became addictions post-op. I got a bit obsessive with counting calories/carbs/protein, and shopping became a pretty common occurrence, but due to my past, nothing that I endured in the last 2 years have not been close to addictive.

I also never considered myself a food addict so transferring an addiction of food to something else was not really an issue for me.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

ahleeeshah
on 8/17/11 4:00 am
You are totally right about the language I used. I'm editing the post now to remove it and make it more appropriate. Thank you!

michellemj
on 8/17/11 2:59 am
I agree with USAF wife...as someone who an addiction researcher, I don't like to use that word either.

But I have some habits or obsessions now. One is healthy: Bikram yoga. which is lead to an unhealthy habit of buying beautiful workout clothes from Athleta and Lululemon. :)

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

ahleeeshah
on 8/17/11 4:01 am
You and USAF Wife are completely right about the word choice. I'm editing the post now. Thank you!

chubbygirlinutah
on 8/17/11 3:08 am - Layton, UT
VSG on 02/10/12
I have not had surgery yet.  I have really wondered about this as well.  I am trying to find a hobby that is inexpensive and something I can do at night to avoid food which is when I get bad.  I am interested to see what others say as well.  I started ZUMBA in hopes that would help keep my mind off of food but after I work out all I want to eat is bad food. 
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views