not to put anyone on the spot but...

samslim
on 8/22/11 8:32 am
let me first say by no means am i a lush lol but about once a month my friends and i like to have girls night and enjoy a few drinks. some months its a mixed drlnk with dinner and others we bar hop. on those nights i usually have a few (usually no more than 3) beers. im sure that atfter this surgery that will need to change, it wont kill me to not drink since this is really the only time i consume but i dont wanna feel like the odd man out. any words of wisdom
Faith is taking the first step even when you dont see the whole staircase... MLK jr.
(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 8:53 am
No real words of wisdom other than at least getting some iced tea or even ice water with lemon or lime.. No one really generally worries what others are drinking, so it's not like you'll be standing out..

smkeller
on 8/22/11 8:56 am
Beer, no, you'll regret that. Wine, watered down bourbon I have had in my first three weeks. Not recommended of course, but hey, it's my life.
Ariana_Rose
on 8/22/11 9:01 am - NJ
VSG on 07/06/11 with
I've had a beer, and mixed drinks (not all together) but no problems with either one. It just depends on the person and your doctors orders. Good luck.
"Nothing great is ever achieved without much enduring." - St. Catherine of Sienna

USAF Wife
on 8/22/11 9:11 am
So, I'm not the "poster child" for not drinking after WLS. BUT, I can tell you my experience.

I didn't drink during my losing stage for 2 main reasons; 1) Empty Calories impede weight loss, not my idea of getting to goal efficiently 2) During the rapid weight, our livers are working over time, no need or desire to throw more crap in my body for it to breakdown.

Now, once I hit goal, I started indulging socially. The first couple of times I drank, it did hit me hard and fast. Numb lips, mouth, and about 20 minutes later it passed. As the months progressed, I found my tolerance went back to normal, and I drink anything under the sun with the exception of beer just because I don't like beer. I am able to drink and keep a good little buzz without getting sloshed off just 2 drinks.  Mixed drinks with soda, shots, white wine, I lost my taste for reds, and the tannic acid seem to irritate my stomach more than white wines, are my choices for drinks.

Since being around a year out, I am known as the "afternoon ****tail" girl in my group of friends. I would have a mojito, a glass of Riesling, or a margarita with lunch. I typically had one or two GNO a month when I tied one on.

For the randomness of my drinking, I didn't see any issues other than I can eat more when I drink. Alcohol relaxes the sleeve and allows more food. So, I will tell you that last holiday season from Halloween through New Years, we had a party, function, social and those events all revolved around food/drinks. I ate and drank whatever I wanted and over those 3 months, I saw a solid 7lb gain. It took me a little over a week to drop it once I went back to my normal maintenance eating.

Best thing I've noticed is that I don't get hangovers anymore. I just tank up on water once I'm done drinking.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views