Water Pills - diuertics**

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/11 1:23 pm
A month prior to surgery I was on:

Bfast: Protien shake (less than 5g carbs) 140 cal

Lunch: Protien shake (same as above) 140 cal

Dinner: No more than 500 calories, Protein and veggie only no carbs.

Chobani has a lot of sugar in it, it's fruit sugar but still too high.

That diet above lost me another 20 pounds between mid June and July 11.

If you have prescribed water pills and you know you are retaining, take them. Water retention is nothing to mess with. If you are getting store bought ones, they aren't going to work anyway (ask me I know).

After sugery diuretics are FORBIDDEN fyi. Serious concerns of dehydraton. I swell still but it gets better and better as the weight goes down and I can make it go away by elevating my feet now.

Good luck - and drink a lot of water. LOTS.
ready2Bhealthy2
on 8/26/11 1:51 pm
I guess I don't see how Chobani can be so bad when both my NUT and my dietician tell me to eat it.  I'm only allowed one a day, but encouraged to eat it.  As for my meals for the next three days...yes they will be as low carb as I can possible stand while working two 12's and a 16.  I weigh in Tuesday morning and will update you all after that.  As for the diuretics, yes I will be taking them and my eyes are wide open to the possible side effects.  It will be a one time dose 12 hours before weighing in.  Thanks for all of your help.  I have built a menu off of your suggestions.  I don't like it, but I will do it for three days.  I will post daily as I struggle...and struggle I will.
hollykim
on 8/26/11 2:21 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 26, 2011 at 8:51 PM Pacific Time, ready2Bhealthy2 wrote:
I guess I don't see how Chobani can be so bad when both my NUT and my dietician tell me to eat it.  I'm only allowed one a day, but encouraged to eat it.  As for my meals for the next three days...yes they will be as low carb as I can possible stand while working two 12's and a 16.  I weigh in Tuesday morning and will update you all after that.  As for the diuretics, yes I will be taking them and my eyes are wide open to the possible side effects.  It will be a one time dose 12 hours before weighing in.  Thanks for all of your help.  I have built a menu off of your suggestions.  I don't like it, but I will do it for three days.  I will post daily as I struggle...and struggle I will.
Your NUT and your dietician don't hve to stand on that scale on Tuesday and see if they are going to weigh in under the wire,do they. No,they don't.

They just sit around in their offices all dy without a clue of what morbidly obese people need or don't need.

You can listen to people who are "book educated" or you can listen to people who are walking this path each and every day and know what they are talking about because we have lived it.

GL,
h

ButterflyTx
on 8/26/11 5:09 pm
On August 26, 2011 at 9:21 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:
On August 26, 2011 at 8:51 PM Pacific Time, ready2Bhealthy2 wrote:
Your NUT and your dietician don't hve to stand on that scale on Tuesday and see if they are going to weigh in under the wire,do they. No,they don't.

They just sit around in their offices all dy without a clue of what morbidly obese people need or don't need.

You can listen to people who are "book educated" or you can listen to people who are walking this path each and every day and know what they are talking about because we have lived it.

GL,
h
Ouch... Not nice, No need for the nastiness. This supposed to be a place of support, not being nasty.
ready2Bhealthy2
on 8/26/11 10:13 pm
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing.  I was just merely stating my confusion. 
michellemj
on 8/26/11 10:15 pm
She wasn't being nasty. She was being real. The OP was looking for advice/help and plenty of people are kind enough to offer it, but yet she continues to justify her (poor) behavior.

We care here and plenty of suggestions have been offered to help her make weight without resorting to potentially dangerous meds.

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

ready2Bhealthy2
on 8/26/11 10:45 pm
I am not justifying anything.  What I am doing is not poor behavior, thank you kindly for your judgements!  However, I did ask for suggestions and I did get good advice.  The woman who spat that I should listen to other obese people made no real argument for her statement, other than showing she doesn't care for NUTs or dieticians.  I clearly remember stating in my opening that I wasn't looking for judgements.  I am a grown woman who is well educated.  I was merely looking for past experiences.  I have lost considerable weight following the guidelines my NUT and dietician gave me.  Bottom line is it's that TOM and fluid gets retained.  If that doesn't make sense to you then I'm sorry.  Taking a diuretic for a few days does not put me at risk, due to the extreme low dosage and short term.  So, I thank both of you for your comments but ask that you keep your judgements to yourself.  Thank you!
ButterflyTx
on 8/27/11 6:30 am, edited 8/27/11 6:30 am
Whoa.. u have anger issues as well, hope the weight loss get rid of the bad attitude too. FYI... Just like you, I have a right to my opinion and can voice it. No need in the attitude hun and all the explaning, after all I don't know you, so what I say shouldn't matter.  Good luck with all you are trying.
ready2Bhealthy2
on 8/27/11 2:14 pm
Uh ok...guess there was some miscommunication...I actually thought I agreed with u. Oh well. As for anger issues I'm good to go. Just don't think ppl need to be nasty. It's uncalled for.
hollykim
on 8/27/11 12:44 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 27, 2011 at 5:45 AM Pacific Time, ready2Bhealthy2 wrote:
I am not justifying anything.  What I am doing is not poor behavior, thank you kindly for your judgements!  However, I did ask for suggestions and I did get good advice.  The woman who spat that I should listen to other obese people made no real argument for her statement, other than showing she doesn't care for NUTs or dieticians.  I clearly remember stating in my opening that I wasn't looking for judgements.  I am a grown woman who is well educated.  I was merely looking for past experiences.  I have lost considerable weight following the guidelines my NUT and dietician gave me.  Bottom line is it's that TOM and fluid gets retained.  If that doesn't make sense to you then I'm sorry.  Taking a diuretic for a few days does not put me at risk, due to the extreme low dosage and short term.  So, I thank both of you for your comments but ask that you keep your judgements to yourself.  Thank you!
I didn't "spit" anything. Some posters are more direct and to the point instead of blowing rainbows and butterflies up someones ass,that's all.

I like NUT and dietitians just fine,however,my experience from reading the boards is that there are not many of them who are really well versed in the diets that bariatric patients need. What works for the normal gutted usually doesn't work for us.

I didn't judge you,didn't say a word about your taking diuretics. If you want justification for my statement about Chobani,I can give you that.

Plain Chobani has 7 grams of carbs,all of them sugar. Chobani with fruit has 20 gms of carbs,19 of them sugar. I posted both not knowing which you are eating.

Our bodies are lazy and as long as there is sugar(Chobani) floating around in your blood stream your body is going to use it first *before* breaking down stored fat to use for energy instead. This means you are spinning your wheels eating Chobani when you could be eating dense protein and making your body break down the fat. This translates   into fat loss for you and a difference on the scale on Tuesday.

Secondly,when we eat carbs (Chobani) even if they *are* naturally occurring in foods we eat our bodies hold up to 4 # of water just in order to process a certain amount  carbs. Your body holding this water to process the 40 grm of carbs you are eating a day coupled with the TOM of water weight is gonna do you in on Tuesday,even with an OTC diuretic which probably isn't strong enough to do what you want it to anyway.

But,what do I know,I am not a Nut or a dietician,just a formerly"obese" person who has been living the life for 18 months and has lost 98#.

I wish you well on your journey and good luck on your weigh in on Tuesday. Please keep up posted,we do care about everyone on the forum,
Holly

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 119 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 350 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 400 views