Coming down w/ a cold and my surgery is on Tuesday!

VickyBT
on 8/27/11 1:38 pm - MI

Or maybe bad allergies???
Not sure yet but way stuff nose and sneezing.
Will they cancel my surgery if I have a cold???
PLEASE GOD nooooo!!! 

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

cancelsbronx
on 8/27/11 1:55 pm - Stamford, CT
If you have a cold or are coming down with one the best thing to do is to cancel.  Speak to someone in your surgeons office about this.  You will feel pretty mizerable after the surgery the last thing you want is to be fighting a cold.  Probably its just allergies but play it safe. 

Good luck,

Santos

lanunes
on 8/27/11 1:57 pm - CA
 Start taking Zicam nowwwww !!! Take one every 3 hours until the cold is gone!!  Drink lots of water and get lots of rest. In my pre-op instructions it said they would NOT do surgery if I was sick. I would call your surgeon on Monday. I also felt like I was getting sick 2 days ago. Took my zicam and today I am fine....that stuff really works. I know u waited a long time to have your surgery but you really shouldn't have it if your sick. It is a lot harder on you and the anesthesia and all. Good luck and get well quick!!! 
      Leslie Nunes              
C. Champion
on 8/27/11 2:14 pm - Minneapolis, MN
My surgery was cancelled and rescheduled for a week later because I had a high white count, I didnt even feel sick but they said I wasnt moving much air in my lungs.
kramerwithasleeve
on 8/27/11 11:35 pm
Best to be safe than sorry. I know you must be bummed about the delay but you'll have the rest of your life to love on your sleeve. I keep telling myself that while I wait for insurance, it takes some of my anxiety away....only some lol
September903
on 8/28/11 1:40 am, edited 8/28/11 1:43 am
I had a cold the day of my surgery. I felt it coming about 5 days prior and took some AirBourne and Nyquil. I stopped taking it two days prior and still had a little runny nose on the day of my VSG. I told the doctor and he said I was fine since I did not have fever. I would be honest tell them the truth and see what your physician team says. Let them know what meds you have taken, if any. My surgery was performed at the University of Chicago hospital and I was confident with my doctors decision. Good luck to you.

Jan G.
on 8/28/11 2:05 am - WI
Yes you can beat this. The Zicam or.. what I use is Zinc lozenges called Cold Ease. I NEVER get sick..but IF I feel the signs beginning, sneezing or sore throat.. I suck on theses lozenges and whalla.. symptoms gone.. or lessened..

If you are still not well tomorrow.. give your surgeon's office the heads up. They may have you take a blood test. If NO fever and count is ok.. you may still have your surgery.. ASK THEM!!

I'll pray for you.. and know this.. its not the end of the world if it gets postponed a few days.

Hugs my OH friend, Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

VickyBT
on 8/28/11 1:38 pm - MI
Thank you all for your replies! (((HUGS)))
Its just SOOO disappointing that i might have to reschedule.
I know its not the end of the world but its been the big countdown...
2 week pre-op starvation diet, hubby and me getting time off work and then this happens!
I think its bad fall allergies because I don't feel run down like
I typically do when i come down with a cold....but I will call first
think tomorrow (Monday) morning and let them know whats going on.
I've tried Zicam before and didn't work for me.
I've been taking Emergen-C (C, B & zinc).
Will let you know. 
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

Most Active