Mature Sleevers and Reflux

happy1957Maine
on 8/30/11 7:58 pm - ME
 This may be a redundant question. I have had a history of mild reflux. I had my heart set on the sleeve and the sleeve only.  I had a mandatory EGD and the Dr  took  numerous biopsies and I felt like she tried persuading me toward a RNY because of the reflux.  The biopsies all came back negative and ultimately she left the surgery choice up to me. 

I decided to stick with my first choice and asked her to petition my insurance for the sleeve.  Now this may be all in my head, but it seems since that request, I have had the worst reflux everyday since my EGD.  Like the procedure stirred up the muddy waters.  I have stopped my PPI and other meds that she suggested in preparation for the surgery.  I have been trying to lose weight for this upcoming surgery and have been sticking to a pretty good regimented diet. Two protein meals and a lean cuisine for dinner with some veggies like cucumber and tomatoes in between and sugar free Popsicle or fruit bar occasionally. 

I guess my real question is . Has anyone here had the sleeve and wished they had RYN just because of the reflux? Had your Dr suggested RNY?  Is it worsen n us older folks?  I'm 54.  
I realize the choice is mine, but it's difficult. I wish my Dr would have said there was no choice. 

Brenda L.
on 8/30/11 8:48 pm - Raleigh, NC
I am 55 years old! Did your physician tell you why you are having reflux? I had terrible reflux because of a hiatal hernia but it was repaired during my sleeve surgery. I still take a PPi and probably will always take one...also took my PPi up until the day of my surgery by order of my physician.

Brenda
  Brendini                                                              
Carmelita
on 8/31/11 12:44 am - Four Corners, NM
huh... VSG and history of GERD can be challenging..obesity will cause it... VSG induced GERD can also be an issue...especially in bougies 32F and smaller. Some surgeons will purposely leave a dog ear in peeps with GERD or use a larger bougie as I requested, so they aren't cuttin too close to area at the esopho/gastric junture where yer sphincter is...cuz it exacerbates GERD. Surgical induced GERD can be temporary tho, once that swelling goes down...yer off perscribed PPIs.
Im sure yer surgeon will accomodate yer concerns...like MINE DID!
           vs.      

Because you have MILD reflux NOW....resolving your obesity issues will help,

Correcting disordered eating behaviors is KEY and only HELPS!

NOT eating fatty (can take up to 5 hrs to digest!), fried foods ~3 hrs before bed 
NOT laying down one hour after eatin sumthin,
taking a complete/multi probiotic, 
Sleepin on YOUR BACK...head, shoulders elevated not puttin any pressure,gravity on that stomach causin backsplash of HCL

I have my pylorus with VSG...very important in sustained weight loss, satiety ....you don't get a pylorus with RNY.  

You couldn't PAY ME to have  RNY at my age ..even tho they use the fundus part to make a new stomach and don't sever that tissue close to the esophagus, why yer surgeon is pushin it I suspect..not to mention its been around some 40 years, insurance pays it right out the gate=yer surgeon is SURE to be paid without DELAY!

Ya couldn't PAY ME for that lifestyle...I WANT TO ENHANCE my remainin days on this planet.
Post VSG Im DONE with bein MISERABLE!! Ive had my fill of that **** ,-)
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views