Surgery Scheduled, Next Step Help

Theresa Z.
on 9/4/11 11:13 am - Dayton, OH
 First I want to say that I am posting this on this here and on VerticalSleeveTalk, I want as much help as possible so if you see it there, sorry!

Ok, so this past Friday, I got the call, Sept. 20 is the date. I have to have a pre-op all day at the hospital next week (some kind of video, etc...) and then I get to meet my surgeon on the 13th. I have no specific two week diet other than low carb. I want to do the high protein liquid diet that I have read most people have to do.

I have so many questions so I am going to list them. I have done some searching but to be honest, I am super overwhelmed right now!! I also want to let you know I am self-pay so no insurance requirements to fulfil.

1.  Can anyone send me or post the liquid diet they are following.
2. How on earth do you pick thru the variety of proteins available? I have read eggface blog recipes but I don't love chocolate, fake strawberry taste, vanilla would be ok... I also know there is flavorless...  
3. If we are supposed to give up caffine, then doesn't the chocolate, mocha's, etc.. have it in there?
4. Will a high protein, low carb diet give me back some energy? I am at a super all time low and feel like I am going to need all the energy I can get to stay focused. I am not an overeater but I tend to skip meals because it is easier...
5. Can someone send me a link or make a list of the items I will need for this (I am a little OCD so it helps me to be prepared and organized).
6. Anyone familiar with Dr. Rita Anderson or in the Dayton area?
7. Does anyone meal plan and know of a site or link that can help me start that?

I know this is a lot to ask, but I am so confused and crazy right now.  Any help, links, advice, or good smacks across the face would be good right now.

Ms. Poker Face
on 9/4/11 12:00 pm, edited 9/4/11 12:07 pm
I'll take a stab at your questions... can't answer all of them, but hopefully it's start!  (EDIT: I typed up a long post and it only posted a small portion!  ARGH!)

1. I had a one week liquid diet prior to surgery.  I was allowed 3-5 low calorie ( less than 200), low carb ( less than 5), high protein ( at least 15) shakes per day.  Plus all the clear, low calorie liquids I wanted like broth, water, crytal light, etc.
2. It's a jungle out there.  Buy samples or small quantities until you can find one you like.  Sample ideas here: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4391400/Sample-ideas/
3. Not sure, but I think the caffiene is pretty low.  I don't do the chocolate or mochas so I can't help much here.
4. I am so much more energetic when I do low-carb.  I think it's the sugar rushing/crashing of carbs that does me in.  I physically felt great on the liquid preop diet!  Mentally, well, it was hard.
5. I don't have this, sorry.  Try searching using the box at the upper right.
6. no, sorry
7. Try looking through the diet guidelines on here: http://vsgfaq.wordpress.com/
And here: http://www.sleeveguide.com/uploads/1/7/9/4/1794785/dietguide vged42006feb.pdf

Good luck!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Ms. Poker Face
on 9/4/11 12:06 pm, edited 9/4/11 12:06 pm
Theresa Z.
on 9/4/11 12:44 pm - Dayton, OH
thank you Silly, its a start!!
hollykim
on 9/4/11 12:45 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Well,ok,here's your slap. It appears to me you are wanting everyone ELSe to do your research for you. The answers to all these questions are posted virtually everyday on one forum or the other. I suggest you look for a post titles "For newies VSG FAQs.

I understand you might be overwhelmed and OCD,but surgery is a serious deal and you need to step up and search out what you need to know without depending on others so much,just like we all did.. Just sayin...

Theresa Z.
on 9/4/11 2:14 pm - Dayton, OH
 Hollykim,

I actually have been doing research on and off for 4 years. I have been overwhelmed by the information out there, I have done so many searches but can't seem to find all the info I want together, that is why I asked those questions.  I am trying to condense the information so that I can take it a little at a time. Currently I have 7 windows of websites open trying to sort thru it all. I have ordered samples of the protein powder, I have researched vitamins, I am ready to do what I need to do I just would like it summarized...

Sorry if it seems I am trying to get others to do the work for me. I actually just want ppl who know what works best to provide their imput.

Theresa Z.
on 9/5/11 6:18 am - Dayton, OH
 OK, decided I am going to do a low fat, high protein diet next week, then do the liquid diet the week before surgery.  I need to still try to organize and figure this all out.

Any others with advice or links?
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 67 views