need to be kicked in the butt!

Jennifer Warga
on 9/7/11 1:04 pm - Mansfield, OH
I was sleeved 12/21/10. I have lost about 65 lbs. I am proud of what I have accomplished and am training for a half marathon. But I am totally out of control in my eating. I eat horrible. I make terrible choices and I know that. Why? I am addicted to food and the habit of putting things in my mouth. My stomach hurts and I know I am stretching it out. I want to stop and feel like an addict out of control and reckless. I really needed to confess this and purge my feelings to those who do not know me, but I hope will understand. The surgery has helped me, but I am abusing the tool I was given. I want to get back on track and I wish I had a support group, but that is not possible right now due to my work schedule. I think it would help to check in here regularly. Is there a forum for those who are several months out or are struggling with the addiction part of food? I have only ever come to this message board. Thank you for anyone who can give the "kick in the butt" I need!
Acting on Faith, there is a skinny girl inside me, she got swallowed up when I was in my 20's and wants out now!! Acting on Faith, Jesus is my Savior and no matter what He loves me unconditionally. Acting on Faith, I want this more than I want another helping of food. 

Davis205
on 9/7/11 1:15 pm
I can't help much. I am getting sleeved on Monday. Hopefully you can look at some old photos and revisit why you got the surgery to begin with. I hope someone can help you on this site and good luck.

jana12
on 9/7/11 1:50 pm - Australia
Hi Jennifer, firstly congratulations on admitting you are doing the wrong thing, you are very brave, you proved that already by having the surgery in the first place.  Secondly, make a list of all your achievements since surgery and give yourself a pat on the back, recognise that there are lots of positives that you created by doing this, so you are allowed a hiccup, but you have had your fun and now you need to reign it in and get back on track, plan your food, tihs is a great tool and usually works for most people if they know what they are having in advance to prepare it etc purchase the right foods, allow yourself a small treat now and again, stop beating yourself up and as Nike says "JUST DO IT"  habits can be broken and new ones formed very quickly!  Best of luck Jennifer, don't allow yourself to continue on the wrong track!  Hugs and prayers from Janie.
VickyBT
on 9/7/11 11:04 pm - MI
Addictions are life long as you are finding out.
If you are struggling you need to get help ASAP.
Does your WLS surgeon's office have a behaviorist?
Regardless, get some professional counseling soon.
Best Wishes from a fellow addict.
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

George B.
on 9/8/11 12:41 am - Miami, FL
Jennifer,

Are you on a PPI like Nexium or Prilosec? A PPI reduces your stomach acid and really curbs your appetite.

Breaking old habits is part of the VSG process. You need to change the way you deal and interact with food. I did this by focusing and keeping to the eating plan my doctor gave me.

1. Eat 600-800 calories per day when losing weight  and 1,200 calories to maintain
2. Limit carbs to less than 40 grams per day
3. Eat 70-100 gram of protein daily
4. Minimum 64 oz. liquids daily
5. Regular exercise/physical activity
6. Track what you eat ( I use myfitnesspal.com to track calories, carbs, protein, etc.)

Tracking helps me stay accountable. Logging my food lets me see what I'm eating and if I'm venturing too far from the program.

Throughout this process I also limited carbs. Carbs only cause you to crave more carbs and most carbs are slider foods so you'll be able to eat a lot of it before you feel any restriction.

Starting your meals with dense protein will fill you up and keep you full longer. Steak and shrimp are great at satisfying your appetite and keeping you full.

I used OH as my support group and it's been great.

Best of luck,
George

Lisa J.
on 9/8/11 1:23 am - OK
On one hand I don't know how anybody goes through this process WITHOUT attending support group meetings, and on the other, they are only a tool as well. WE have to be responsibile for what we shove in our mouths.

First off; do you have a food plan outline? ARE you eating dense protein 1st, room for veggies after if you can. Most people don't, or would rather have one more bite of a protein. That's how it is for me. And are you getting in a zillion ounces of water? If you're not getting 80-100oz you need to start. That will curb your cravings immediately. PROTEIN IS THE KEY to staying 'full', feeling full. If you only put in what your body NEEDS then it has less grumble time for stuff it doesn't. If you haven't cut the white carbs out yet, DO IT ASAP because they just cause the slippery slope of cravings. Once you get them totally out of your system you will absolutely notice the difference.

Yes pretty much we ALL deal with addiction in some form or another, and we stick around these forums to chime in about how we're feeling, if it's normal, if we need a butt kick, motivation, explanation, whatever it is, we're always here to help.

I simply cannot imagine having gone through this process without support. Our hospital has a weekly turnout where preops down to old pro's show up regularly. We all realize too, that life goes on outside WLS and that timing is everything. That's why this is such a great place when you can't make an in-person meeting or if they aren't a part of your hospital's program (which I think is a crime BTW).

We all need a kick at one time or another. Even though it's the same surgery for everyone, it's not the same bodies, the same emotions, the same figures, the same support. You have to work it, and you have to be responsible by asking questions, doing the right thing, asking for support or direction, being accountable, etc. You do have an amazing tool, and while you can screw off for a little while, in the long run you'll end up back close to where you were if you blow this. *****ally knows if you can 'stretch out' a stomach. It's obvious that once the swelling goes down we can all eat more than we first did, but is that a license to go back to ****ty choices???

NO NO NO!
For me, I cannot stress how important the water is. Whenever you think you're hungry DRINK. Fill up on shrimp, eggs, chicken, fish, steak, protein drinks, slim Jim, beef jerky, meatballs, whatever. You won't be able to eat a bunch of it at any one time, and if you have time to get some green veggies down you, by all means go for it. Obviously fruit has more natural sugar than veggies, so easy on those. Once you get over that 'hump' of sliding back into ****ty carbs, it does become easier. You've already lost the size of a young child! Don't slide back! When you forget what 65lbs feels like, go to the store and stick a 40lb dog food bag under each of your arms and then another 20 pounder wherever you can balance it and REJOICE that you are NOT doing that anymore!!!

Get some sugar free gum, SF popsicles, low carb/sugar fudgecicles, mostly just keeping focused and on task works for people so they're not subconsiously thinking about food. I know that at 2 years out I have to stay busy or that's where my mind goes. Not always to my hands and to my mouth but I admit my brain still goes there. It's something I know I'll always fight.

YOU CAN DO THIS. Write down your food, every BITE and it might help you put things back. Review it each day and see where you could have made a difference in your intake. REALLY figure out the difference between head hunger and boredom and real hunger. Fortunately I can honestly say for at least 12-18 months I had NO hunger, from recovery til then. Now days I really have to ask myself hard. And more often than not I reach for a drink of water.

This is REALLY our last chance. You've made SUCH HUGE changes already, are you ready to go the distance?? With a 1/2 marathon on your agenda, it sounds like you've already got the fire and the discipline. Take it further and work your sleeve!

CONGRATS! Don't stop now. ;-)
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views