Yummy way to increase protein!

mojomom
on 9/12/11 12:28 am
Hi All,

I responded to a request for information yesterday on how to increase protein, and the replies I got to that made me think I should post this for everyone to see! 

When I worked on the West Coast I often visited people's homes to see their children.  In Vancouver I worked with families from many cultural backgrounds.   I always learned so much from them and truly enjoyed myself.  The East Indian families I worked with often made me the most delicious chai tea and it's that delicious sweet tea I have adapted for my new tummy.

I buy Celestial Seasonings Decafinated Chai Tea (India Spice Tea) and I mix 4 tbsp. of skim milk powder into it and add a drop or two of liquid Stevia for sweetening.  It's soooooo yummy and the spices (cardamom, etc.) are very soothing to my new tummy - and it has 9 grams of delicious protein!!  

One thing I have learned is not to add boiling water to the milk powder.  It'll cook it into disgusting curds   - ew!  I mix the powder first with a bit of cold water in the bottom of the cup and then add the boiling water for better results. 

Be sure to let the tea steep good and long (5-10 minutes) and squeeze all of the spicey goodness out of the bag before you discard it.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.  This is one I never grow tired of, and I've been drinking 2 or 3 a day for weeks!  Throw in a little benefibre and it'll keep you movin', too!

Mojomom

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/11 1:27 am
That sounds delicious. I'm going out today to get some chai tea bags! Thanks!
Pat H.
on 9/12/11 1:41 am
Been wondering how to replace my Starbucks Chai Lattes. Great idea!

SW - 234.5  GW - 140.5   Met Goal on 5/7/12  

Juney
on 9/12/11 2:28 am - United Kingdom
So, are you saying a cup of tea has 9gms of protein? Could I use semi skimmed milk in it?  I am in the UK and I have looked it up.  The have it on Amazon but it's £34 for a box which says 20 count, pack of 6.  Is yours the same, and would that be 120 bags, or 20 bags?  OMG I just expanded the picture, and that price is for 20 tea bags!!  That's very expensive - I best look elsewhere!
They say people begin to look like their pets, 
I have 7 whippets so what went wrong?

I Love My Sleeve!

mojomom
on 9/12/11 4:02 am
Oh my!  Don't even consider paying that kind of a price for it.  I buy it at the Bulk Barn for around $3.59 for a box of 20 bags. 

If you look and can't find it, send me a note and I'll send some to you! 

Mojomom

Juney
on 9/12/11 6:33 pm - United Kingdom
That's really kind of you.  I checked the local supermarkets online, and they do the Twinings one at Tesco and Asda, so I'm going to stop off on the way to work, and stock up.  I love all those types of spices, anything clovey or cinnamony is good with me!

Someone has also suggested the Syntax Nectar whey protein.  I have bought whey protein and not been able to drink it without gagging - so I have ordered the Syntax, and will give that a go.  I like salads and veg but can hardly eat any because once the protein is in, I don't have any room!  If I can drink some protein instead, I will be able to eat something different from eggs, meat and cheese!

The MetRx RTD55 is quite good, but milk protein and not whey which is the best I was told. 

Thanks for all advice.  I am 3 months post op and learning all the time

I Love My Sleeve!

Juney
on 9/12/11 2:37 am - United Kingdom
Ah, I've looked elsewhere and found it cheaper, and have also found it made by Twinings which I think is based in UK.  I see there is no protein in the tea, so it must come from the milk powder, so that answers my question about adding semi skimmed milk

I Love My Sleeve!

mojomom
on 9/12/11 4:00 am
Hi Juney,

Yes, you're absolutely right, the protein comes from the skim milk powder.  I tried adding it to a lot of things but really didn't like it at all, until I fell onto the chai idea, and it's been smooth sailing since! 

I think I could have made this clearer in my post.  So sorry for the confusion! 

Mojomom

injeneral
on 9/12/11 7:56 am
Chai is one of my favorite things ever. I love the Oregon Chai concentrate.. lived on the stuff in college!
LilySlim Weight loss tickers                        
HT: 5'3"      HW: 240     GW: 130     AGE: 30     PCOSer; diagnosed 2003
Month 1:  -21.2 (218.8)   Month 2: -10 (208.8)   Month 3: -10.6 (198.2)   Month 4: -8.6 (189.6)
First goal (to be under 200): Nov. 11; 199.2
Second goal: weigh less than my husband (174):

I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable, beautiful and afraid of nothing as though I had wings. — Mary Oliver

Most Active