What are the details of just a sleeve?

butercup
on 9/14/11 12:18 pm - Kennewick, WA
Have any of you had diabetes before surgery and had it cured with the sleeve?  Also, do you eat as heavy of a protein diet as the DS?  I know that you need vitamins, but the demand is lower.

I ask because my mom has diabetes, hates most protein, but really needs something to help her.  She thought of getting the DS, but if she's not willing to comply she shouldn't even bother.  Is it the same with the sleeve or not as drastic?
smbergie200
on 9/14/11 12:31 pm - Naples, FL
 Protein, Protein, Protein. If she refuses to comply with protein you are right, she shouldn't bother. VSG or DS still needs lots of protein. I read type 2 diabetes can be resolved, but im not sure on Type 1. 

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

butercup
on 9/14/11 12:35 pm - Kennewick, WA
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking the same thing as what you said.  The sad thing is she used to eat protein ALL the time and loved it.  About the time when she started her Biatta (sp?) she started to get sick from it.  She can't even smell some things cooking without getting terribly ill.  I would hope that after surgery perhaps that issue would resolve itself, but it would mean death if it didn't.  She also can't gag down protein shakes.

I watched my grandma slowly die from kidney failure caused by diabetes and I'm afraid my mom is heading down that same path.
smbergie200
on 9/14/11 12:38 pm - Naples, FL
 Type 1 or 2?

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

butercup
on 9/14/11 1:31 pm - Kennewick, WA
melanie L.
on 9/14/11 1:39 pm
I had type 2.. My a1c was 7 or 8, now its a 4.9 and my fasting sugars use to be 200-300 and now its around 90...I also used to be on metfomin 500mg 2 times a day, then they upped it to 1,000mgs  2 times a day. I havent taken a pill since 2 days before my surgery...

butercup
on 9/14/11 1:56 pm - Kennewick, WA
That's awesome!  I wish she could do this or the DS, but she just can't/won't eat the protein needed.
sunnymicki
on 9/14/11 2:14 pm
How is your mom meeting her protein requirements now?  Does she eat beans, egg, milk?  Even without WLS, people need to eat a certain amount of protein to avoid malnutrition and all of the ill effects of it.

Also, if she thinks it is one medication that causes her protein aversion, perhaps she could talk to her endrocrinologist about switching medications?  There are lots of diabetes medications out there.
butercup
on 9/14/11 2:23 pm - Kennewick, WA
I wish I could give you a reasonable answer to those reasonable questions, but my mom is not a reasonable person to begin with.

All I can say is that it's complicated on all of the things you asked and it would tire me out to have to explain them. She eats minimal protein at best and supplements with candy and lime sherbet.  I know that this is insane, I know.  As far as helping herself, she's too damn lazy.  So any questions of getting any help elsewhere tend to be moot. 

I thought maybe if the sleeve was less work than the DS she might consider it.  I hope that someday she'll grow the hell up and decide not to die so quickly.  I have an adult brother that is autistic and mentally retarded.  She needs to do what ever she can to live as long as she can for Shawn.  I don't think she will.

Sorry if this was tmi.  Thank you for your response, you had great suggestions.

CoolBeans
on 9/14/11 2:35 pm - MD
 I sympathize. My own mother is MO (with the comobidities)  and is trying to lose weight with me while I go through this with the sleeve. She has been doing well with diet and exercise so far, but I know how hard that road is, as we have both been down it many times before.

I also have an adult autistic sister and I really fear my mom's health is going to take her early and she won't be able to be there for my sister who has already lost one parent prematurely. 
 Cari    
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views